Solar Panel mounting.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Filmick
Junior Bongonaut

Solar Panel mounting.

Post by Filmick » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:18 pm

Hiya

I've just acquired a 100w flexible solar panel that I want to mount on my AFT at the rear. It has some "eyelets" but unfortunately they just don't match up with the threaded roof rail mounting bolt holes. Although I'm planning to glue the panel to the roof (after researching here from previous posts) I also would like to have a more secure screw mounting for safety.

So the question is, would there be any problem using a couple of small self-tapping screws into the glassfibre roof (at the edges so it's not within the "tent" area) and sealed with some rubber washers?

Many thanks in advance for any help and responses.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Re: Solar Panel mounting.

Post by Tony x » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi
You really will be fine without screws. Clean the roof, degrease (use isopropyl alcohol ) and use Sikaflex 512.
I recently removed a panel fixed with the above method and theirs no way that it could blow off. The panel itself would bend in two if, for some reason, air got under the front edge, rather than fly off.
Filmick
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Filmick » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Many thanks.... I've got the Sikaflex 512 after the recommendations on the forum here. I'm going to wait until the weather is more settled and warm then attach it. Maybe I was being over cautious.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:53 pm

Just make sure the surface layer your sticking it too has good adhesion! I've seen paint peel away from surfaces before now (not Bongo related) when stuck down with the correct adhesive, adhesive was fine but paint/layer below to structure wasn't!!!!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:34 pm

g8dhe wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:53 pm Just make sure the surface layer your sticking it too has good adhesion! I've seen paint peel away from surfaces before now (not Bongo related) when stuck down with the correct adhesive, adhesive was fine but paint/layer below to structure wasn't!!!!
My thoughts too. The grey on the AFT is some kind of finish to the roof material and it has lifted when i've used stuff like gorilla tape. However, over that area i reckon you'd be safe provided you apply glue over a decent area. But check it over time as differential expansion due to heating and cooling could stress the bond and cause eventual separation. I'd have thought the right length of self tappers could provide belt and braces without compromising the roof in any way.

Return to “Techie Stuff”