What do I need to do on my new Bongo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cobbdu1
Bongonaut

What do I need to do on my new Bongo

Post by cobbdu1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Dear all,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I have just bought a 1997 diesel Bongo from a dealer. It's in good shape and I have paid to have it under-sealed. I am picking it up on Saturday. Is there anything else I should do to it, or check, before I use it?

Many thanks,
marionw
Bongolier

Re: What do I need to do on my new Bongo

Post by marionw » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Welcome and get ready to enjoy.

You will get lots of replies to your question, but the most important edition is a low coolant alarm if one isn't already fitted.
Lots of conversations on the forum regarding them.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Be careful having it re-sealed unless its being thoroughly washed down and dried otherwise you'll be trapping moisture and salts underneath, at that age its normal to have had or require attention to rust in the rear arched, sills and front and rear cross members.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:41 pm

Another welcome.

Check when the cam belt was last changed, also coolant.

60,000 Miles/5 years for belt, (whichever is first) and 2-5 years for coolant depending on type.

Make sure you or your garage bleed it properly. Plenty of info on here.
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Before you collect it from the dealer, get them to give you a complete walk-round of the vehicle, including under both the front seats.

There are so many comments and questions (mostly on the facebook pages, it has to be said) that start 'What does this switch do?', or 'Where is the engine oil dipstick?'. These questions are posted by owners that clearly do not have the slightest knowledge of their vehicle and that, owning a Bongo, is not a good thing.

Poke around, find out what switch does what, get under the front seats and see what's where, look underneath (there's loads down there!) and take some time to understand your new bus.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:53 pm

If you get a walkaround the vehicle, use your phone to video the session as well! No matter how clear the instructions are, you will forget most of them until you need the switch/function, this way keep it on the phone and you can play it back at will!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi and welcome/congratulations on the Bongo purchase. I have a saved document for newcomers as I thought it might be useful..

There may be a few diesel/petrol specifics to look out for. Most below apply to both fuel variants. (I have a diesel)

Check the transmission fluid every now and then.

Check and replace the air filter regularly. (You can just turn them the first time you see them looking
a bit sooty) but probably replace once a year nominally.

Change diesel fuel filter every 2-3 years depending on mileage.

Fit a low coolant alarm and a temperature sensing alarm (I use just the temp alarm). If you were not aware aging Bongo coolant systems are prone to leaks, small and large. One must be aware of high engine temperatures ASAP with a coolant system fault. (the dash temperature meter is useless and by the time you see there is a problem there will likely be engine damage) Haydn alarms is the place to go for those. They cost a bit but it is pretty much nigh on essential to have at least 1 fitted for any Bongo. It is about £2K to replace a cracked head and have associated problem parts replaced. So worth every penny.

The diesel needs its offical oil change at every 6 months or 6K miles. People tend to have different opinions on this given the improvements in oil quality since the 15-20 years since Bongos were made. Recently I left mine 12 months but only di approx 4K miles. I plan every 9 months to do oil now just to be safe. You can do the oil filter every 12K miles. But I now plan every 6 months when I do my oil.

Check your drain hole under the windscreen every few months especially in winter they tend to block up and then water pours down into the fuse box in the front area causing some potential problems. So check it regularly and clear detritus out of that little gutter/the drain hole.

If you have an auto free top remember to raise the roof around every 6 weeks to keep it lubricated/functioning (especially in winter when you tend not to use the Bongo as much) . They can have a habit of seizing if you get unlucky so moving them up once a month seems on balance to be worthwhile. Sometimes you have to de-mould the tent in the roof if you have an auto free top post winter. (I like others fling some Silica Gel bags up there in the winter, periodically dried onthe radiators, seem to help a lot)

In winter periodically drive the Bongo and on decent 20mile + runs, once every couple of weeks at minimum to heat everything up, dispell moisture and keep things moving. Also run the air con to keep the lubricant in the system flowing round even in winter, that keeps the seals in good shape. They can dry out and crack and running the aircon for a while every now and then in winter is good.

A couple of common issues:

Trip meter can make a weird and quite loud clicking noise after a rest, I think you just reset it a few times and that somehow clears it.

Diesel Fuel meter can show incorrect fuel level (we suspect it may be soemthing to do with the damp somehow, this can trigger it in the first place), can be remedied by a simply wire soldered onto an earth tag / bolt earthed to the chassis somewhere normally.

The above come up frequently so they are fairly easy to fix so don't panic.

That is what I can think of for now...be safe and have fun :) .

(I personally like to use a fuel additive, as do some others here.. Millers Diesel Eco power max works nicely in my Bongo, you can look into this - they have a petrol version as well, it helps keep engine insides clean/injectors/fuel lines/lubes the pump etc etc. I also once in a while like to use a BG product either BG44k or BG244, but this can be every 2-3 years or so. This bracketted section is purely optional and the above is most important.)
ognob
Bongonaut

Post by ognob » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:13 pm

cobbdu1 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:39 pm Dear all,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I have just bought a 1997 diesel Bongo from a dealer. It's in good shape and I have paid to have it under-sealed. I am picking it up on Saturday. Is there anything else I should do to it, or check, before I use it?

Many thanks,

Welcome

Where are you based
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks for all your replies everyone.

My plan is as follows:
1) When I pick up the vehicle, spend a good while finding out what things do by having a general play around.
2) Assuming there is no information on when the timing belt was last changed, get this done by my local garage.
3) Fit a low coolant/temperature alarm myself. I looked on the Haydn site and they cost near £200, but it seems this is an essential piece of kit. I saw them cheaper on ebay (link below) but I think they were only temperature sensors. If anyone has any further advice on this it would be welcome.
4) Replace the coolant.
5) Follow the advice given on general upkeep by BongoBongo123 (thank you!).

I'm based in Cardiff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-Bongo- ... 0005.m1851
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:38 am

A low coolant alarm - alone - which is the critical item is around £80 either direct from the site /ebay whatever, its only more expensive if you add extra temperature alarms.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by DanBongo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi All,

Im new to the bongo maintenance schedule to.

I have read up a lot about changing the Auto transmission fluid and searching the internet to find the correct dextron 3 fluid and this is where I am getting a headache.... there are so many different brands/options to choose from i'm extremely hesitant to choose one as I don't want to make that fatal mistake and put the wrong fluid in. I keep thinking that i'm over thinking this.... Can you recommend a specific brand and possibly post a link please.

Dan
Dan,
99 V6!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Dexron 3 is the specification, anything that says its Dexron 3 is suitable, anything it says after that is merely marketing hype.
Have you checked the level and state of the current ATF first ? Does it need changing ?
If you haven't checked it then read this on doing so first https://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk ... +Check.pdf
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
cobbdu1
Bongonaut

Post by cobbdu1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:18 am

g8dhe wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:38 am A low coolant alarm - alone - which is the critical item is around £80 either direct from the site /ebay whatever, its only more expensive if you add extra temperature alarms.
Is there anything wrong with this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Low-Coolant- ... 1532137275
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:43 am

It works, it wasn't designed for the Bongo, it doesn't have self test, and a surprising number are removed by garages when they go faulty.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by DanBongo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:21 am

Thank you for the reply Geoff. I will have a look later today.
Dan,
99 V6!

Return to “Techie Stuff”