restarting after 18 months SORN?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sfinnie
Bongonaut

restarting after 18 months SORN?

Post by sfinnie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Hello all

Our bongo has been SORN for 18 months, sitting untouched. (Yeah, bad. I know).

I want to see if I can get her back to life. Any suggestions/recommendations? So far:

1. Battery has been disconnected whilst she's been hibernating. Now fully charged & re-connected
2. Checked oil & water
3. Turned the engine over. It's turning fine, and coughed into life briefly. However, now just turning over but no sign of firing. Possibly lack of fuel reaching injectors?

Do I need to drain diesel from tank / should I? If so, are there instructions anywhere for doing that? Presumably I'll need to prime the diesel pump again afterwards?

Thanks.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: restarting after 18 months SORN?

Post by Bob » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Have a Google for 'Diesel Bug'.

That might be the problem after 18 months. :(
sfinnie
Bongonaut

Post by sfinnie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:31 pm

Have a Google for 'Diesel Bug'.
Oh. Dear.

So: at the very least, full drain of tank + clean of fuel lines?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:32 pm

Probably best to change the fuel filter (cannister) and also check the state of the "banjo" filter either could be causing the problem and would need to be changed if you do have "diesel bug"!
The banjo filter is shown below;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
sfinnie
Bongonaut

Post by sfinnie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Probably best to change the fuel filter (cannister) and also check the state of the "banjo" filter either could be causing the problem and would need to be changed if you do have "diesel bug"!
The banjo filter is shown below;
Thanks Geoff.

Are there instructions anywhere for the whole procedure? i.e. draining tank, cleaning lines, replacing filter, ...

I see there's both a service manual and WLT engine manual in the shop. Would either of those cover it?

Thanks.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:35 pm

Not really, changing the filters yes just do some searched on here - just make sure your reading up on the right engine of course a V6 petrol and a 2.5l diesel are a bit different ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Dogran
Bongonaut

Post by Dogran » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi - How long were you turning the engine over for? If the seals on your fuel pump are past their best the diesel can drain back out of the engine past the seals and back into the fuel tank. We didn't use our Bongo for 3 months or so last year and when we came to start it displayed the same symptoms as you. A good couple of minutes turning the engine over solved this as it gave the fuel pump time to get the fuel back into the engine and it started up. Its been fine since. your battery needs to be in good shape to do this though.

My wife's Mazda 2 has also done the same after only a week or so without use, so it seems to be a Mazda issue....apparently if its parked on a hill it can make this more likely.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:01 pm

sfinnie , some fuel filter housing have a hand primer, worth having a look, if no joy you could remove the injector pump supply line and prime the IP.

Take care.
ds8819
Bongonaut

Post by ds8819 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:38 pm

sfinnie wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:41 pm Hello all

Our bongo has been SORN for 18 months, sitting untouched. (Yeah, bad. I know).

I want to see if I can get her back to life. Any suggestions/recommendations? So far:

1. Battery has been disconnected whilst she's been hibernating. Now fully charged & re-connected
2. Checked oil & water
3. Turned the engine over. It's turning fine, and coughed into life briefly. However, now just turning over but no sign of firing. Possibly lack of fuel reaching injectors?

Do I need to drain diesel from tank / should I? If so, are there instructions anywhere for doing that? Presumably I'll need to prime the diesel pump again afterwards?

Thanks.
I know it's been a few years, but I am wondering how you got on with this?

I am resurrecting my Bongo after being laid up for many years too. I have got it started but it won't rev past around 1800 rpm, so I'm wondering if this diesel bug thing is the issue?

Did you discover this bug? And did you resolve your problem? I am interested to know.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:37 pm

1800 revs is about when the turbo kicks in, take a good look round the small pipes and actuator that controls it's operation, also check the air filter housing and pipework as this makes a great winter nest for mice.
ds8819
Bongonaut

Post by ds8819 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:20 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:37 pm ... take a good look round the small pipes and actuator that controls it's operation,
Ok, what is it that I'm looking for?
... also check the air filter housing and pipework as this makes a great winter nest for mice.
Do you mean inside the air filter housing?

Thanks for your prompt response and advice which is greatly appreciated.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:03 am

Yes, inside the pipework and filter housing

Return to “Techie Stuff”