ATF level

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mark Wilson
Bongonaut

ATF level

Post by Mark Wilson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:10 pm

I've just checked the ATF level on my 99 2.5 TD for the first time, but hadn't memorised the procedure as set out in the datasheet, which suggests checking it warm (it was) but idling (it wasn't, the engine was turned off). The fluid on the dipstick was clean, but had gritty particles in it, and was way above the full mark. As I'm not convinced the gearchanging is quite as intended I was planning at some time in the next few weeks to remove and clean the gearbox sump and filter.

My questions are;

1 Would checking it while idling produce a significantly different level reading? (Sorry, I know I need to check it again, but lifting the driver seat is a bit of a pain and I haven't the time at the moment)
2 Is reducing the level an issue needing urgent attention?
3 Could overfilling have been a previous owner's cunning plan to hide problems of any sort?

Also, has anyone a photo or diagram showing the crankshaft sensor at the front of the engine? (see Northern Bongalow's advice posted 20/2/18 ago by Ian)

Thanks

Mark
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: ATF level

Post by teenmal » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:32 pm

To check the ATF ,it is imperative that the engine is running other wise you will get drain back ,also range through the gears prior to checking level.

If you are getting grit in the fluid and decide to drop the sump it would be advisable to fit a New filter, cleaning this type of filter is Not advisable, and fitting a New filter could be the cheapest thing you have done and the most expensive if you don't.

You can see the sensor here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71499&p=672877&hili ... or#p672877

Take care.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:27 am

teenmal wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:32 pm To check the ATF ,it is imperative that the engine is running other wise you will get drain back ,also range through the gears prior to checking level.

If you are getting grit in the fluid and decide to drop the sump it would be advisable to fit a New filter, cleaning this type of filter is Not advisable, and fitting a New filter could be the cheapest thing you have done and the most expensive if you don't.

Take care.
Really useful post teenmal. I would add I find it v difficult even then to be sure of the exact level on the dipstick with the ?splashing that gets on it but over time i've sort of got the hang of it. Not straightforward like the oil dipstick though my mechanic says he doesnt find it hard (but of course he's very practised ;-) )
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:18 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:27 am
teenmal wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:32 pm To check the ATF ,it is imperative that the engine is running other wise you will get drain back ,also range through the gears prior to checking level.

Take care.
Really useful post teenmal. I would add I find it v difficult even then to be sure of the exact level on the dipstick with the ?splashing that gets on it but over time i've sort of got the hang of it. Not straightforward like the oil dipstick though my mechanic says he doesnt find it hard (but of course he's very practised ;-) )

Dipping you engine oil is a different technical operation , put your stick in and you can leave it for a wee while before you remove it. Auto box dip stick is a quick in and out, glad to hear that your Mechanic has mastered the technical operation . it must be very reassuring for you. =D> =D> =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Indeed. I find him more reassuring than some mechanics I've known!
Mark Wilson
Bongonaut

Post by Mark Wilson » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:47 pm

Many thanks guys. I'll have another look at the level later this week and take on the sump drop before too long. The fact sheet suggests washing the filter out in petrol, but as Teenmal seems to know what he's talking about I'll source a new one.

All the best

Mark

Return to “Techie Stuff”