Knocking noise when coming off throttle

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Merlot man
Bongolier

Knocking noise when coming off throttle

Post by Merlot man » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 am

Hello all
Ive had this problem for a while now when maybe going down hill and lifting off the throttle a knocking noise happens under the bus , to cure it simply give it a bit of gas but it's quite violent when it happens . It's seems to happen more when I'm giving her the beans and then lifting off . It seems not to happen when the bus fully warms up and I'm driving her nice and gently , which would be most of the time .
I also have a drive shaft clicking when cold , I wonder if these are related ?
Any help would really be appreciated as I feel I'm doing her harm and she will let me down sone day .
Thanks in advance
Brian
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Knocking noise when coming off throttle

Post by teenmal » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Could be drive shaft related if its 4wd check all drive shafts for backlash , also check the Harmonic Dampers casing is not coming in contact with anything. Also engine / gearbox mountings / AR / droplink bushes/exhaust etc etc ..

Take care.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Re: Knocking noise when coming off throttle

Post by Merlot man » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Hello teenmal and sorry for the late reply
I don't think it's the roll bar bushes or drop links as I've replaced them with Mazda items , the harmonic dampers I thought were the problem so I packed between the rubber and steel housing with soft sound deadening matt but to no avail :twisted:
Engine mounts have been replaced as well , I'm going to have to look at the gearbox mounts and the drive shafts .
How many gearbox mounts are there do you know ?
Waiting for the first fine weekend day that I'm free :lol:
Thanks again
Brian

Return to “Techie Stuff”