door loom earth wire colours

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bamfman
Junior Bongonaut

door loom earth wire colours

Post by Bamfman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi
can anyone tell me the colours of the earth wires on both front doors (at the hinge) to save me having to work them out please?
I want to put them on an earth point on the door to reduce the size of the loom going back by the hinge.
sorted on the speakers and fairly sure the passenger window is orange and red/white. bongo is a 2000 plate
Thanks
Alistair
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: door loom earth wire colours

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Earth wires are commonly black, but don't take that as Gospel.

I'm not sure you won't get some resistance if you rely on just the hinges to act as the earth return, it may cause problems.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:52 pm

Yup Earth is always Black these are all the points below (enable Flash to click into the diagrams) and next page for physical locations;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bamfman
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bamfman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 pm

Many thanks for your input both.
Wires to the main earth point are black but there are a number of return wires to components which tend to be black with a tracer. Also fairly happy that the door will earth well with the possible exception of the speaker.
Strangely the main live to the window switch is black with a red tracer!
Having spent time checking out the passenger side (not taken the driver side off yet) it appears that the earths for the window return to the driver door switch and the central locking to the driver side . I can connect the earth returns (from the window,colour orange and red/white) to the door (earth) and the window works. However if you do this the immobiliser (for the window) on the driver no longer works.
As someone in the future may wont this to work (child lock) I opted to replace all wires as original. Very surprised at the amount of splits in the wiring, not just in the middle and in more than one place on a number of wire. I had to cut old wires to about 40mm off the main connection block inside the cab.
anyway got the job finished Thursday night and on Friday went for a long weekend in Dentdale. This was our 3rd trip away since we got it in November 2018 and the 1st time it hasn't broken down!!! (3rd time lucky). You never know I may even start to like this vehicle which we have named Brexit.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:51 pm

There is no simple earth return! The motors have power reversed to them to control up/down operation, so the wires to the motors will always be coloured other than simple Black because the connections will be reversed depending on operation.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”