Interior light and lights on warning not working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mark Wilson
Bongonaut

Interior light and lights on warning not working

Post by Mark Wilson » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:13 am

I've not had a working courtesy light since buying our 1999 2.5 TD six months ago, and I've never had a lights on warning either. Last week I flattened the battery by leaving the headlights on, very inconvenient and embarrassing. It is gradually dawning on me that these two issues may be connected...

By searching on here I've found that the lights on buzzer is the blue box behind the drivers side kick panel. I have beeps for reversing and roof operation, so it would seem that is working. There's no evidence of any cut wires or disconnections in the vicinity of the blue box.

The cabin light works with the individual switches, and as far as I can gather the same bulbs should come on as courtesy lights if the door switches are released. (Do correct me if I'm wrong.)

So I'm thinking (slowly) that the door switches may be to blame. But they spring in and out ok, and are both likely to fail? Can anyone offer any guidance as where to start testing?

Mark
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Interior light and lights on warning not working

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:51 am

I'd start with the door switches.

Likely corrosion on the contacts so a clean with some electrical cleaner may do it.

These normally switch to earth so you could see if there is power to the switch then try earthing it.

Good luck.
Mark Wilson
Bongonaut

Post by Mark Wilson » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:29 pm

Thanks Bob. I found that the switch earths through a self tapping screw, which was quite corroded, as was the surrounding metal of the switch. A good clean and reassembly with dielectric grease has resulted in a working interior light and a suitably annoying lights on beeper. I'll do the passenger side one when its a bit warmer 8)

With the aid of the forum and the fact sheets I have so far fitted a low coolant alarm, replaced the front crossmember, restored the heater operation and now got the interior light and beeper working. What a brilliant resource this is! Also booked in for sills and arches with Kloonsy in Barnsley in a couple of months.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Brilliant jobs done, and Kloonsey is yer top man. :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”