Immobiliser problem

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

banjoboy1
Bongonaut

Immobiliser problem

Post by banjoboy1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:05 pm

I have two problems at the moment they are not connected(???) Firstly after a while off the road I attempted a short trip just to
blow away the cobwebs and make sure all was well.The Bongo (AUTO DIESEL) wouldnt move in DRIVE or REV eventually after the engine warmed up it moved forward and drove OKish Big trouble when trying to come home needing to do a 3 point turn .No REV .Turned off the engine and managed to roll back (slightly downhill).Tried to restart to complete the forward maneuvre but the engine wouldn't start.No glow plug light and no noises just wouldn't go.When the AA man came he checked that the starter motor worked and the battery was ok .His opinion was that that the immobiliser was faulty?I have since resynched the keyfob and used the overide key thingy.Occasionally while attempting to to start the engine has suddenly fired up but each time it has only run for about 45secs.I would like to uninstall the alarm but it seems to be not so simple.Any ideas on what my problems might be?
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Immobiliser problem

Post by Ian » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:28 am

Sorry, but I can't answer your particular problem, and I don't know whereabouts in Cornwall you are, but you are fortunate to have some leading Bongo mechanics nearby. In Plymouth you have https://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk/ and in Bodmin you have http://www.pitstopgs.com/. Both will be able to help you if they are not too busy.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 pm

IF it's an immobiliser problem then you may find these posts by Geoff 'g8dhe' helpful:
search.php?keywords=Immobiliser&terms=a ... mit=Search

Also the no-revs problem can sometimes simply be caused by muck in the 'banjo' fuel filter. This might be worth checking as you say your diesel's been left for a while.
If it's not then your have eliminated one possibility.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
banjoboy1
Bongonaut

Post by banjoboy1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks for the good advice offered.I have been to Pitstop in Bodmin today and will be getting the Bongo delivered down to them.I wasn't aware of this garage and it is only 20miles or so from where I live.I will probably have the alarm removed as it is too troublesome .There may be a big problem with the gearbox but fingers crossed.Thanks again for your replies I will let you know how things pan out .
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:49 am

If by 'alarm' you mean the 'immobiliser', then I'm sure this is a requirement of your insurance company? May be worth getting it replaced instead, if not fixable.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
banjoboy1
Bongonaut

Post by banjoboy1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:12 pm

Thanks for your concern.You are right re the insurance position as I get a discount for having the Cobra alarm fitted.Things have changed over the weekend.I was all set to have the van taken to Pitstop but the guy who promised to take it on his lowloader let me down due to his other breakdown work.I checked out the alarm loom and somehow managed to fix it by making and breaking connections.Very far from ideal I know but the van is starting first time plus the various alarm features all seem to work which they haven't done for a least a year before!Needed to get the van started to check the ATF level as it needs to be done on level ground.I judged it needed about a Ltr which was enough to enable me to get all gears including reverse.Not sure how to check the fluid properly but believe the engine needs to be warm and the level still seems to be very low on the dipstick . Not sure where there is a leak but I am guilty of not checking for some time.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:56 pm

You need things up to running temp, park on level ground, and check with engine running. :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”