Winter tyres

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Beakerboo
Junior Bongonaut

Winter tyres

Post by Beakerboo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:36 pm

Hi, I’ve no experience of using winter tyres but wondering if I need them (just also exploring getting the van moved to a 4WD), do people use 2 sets of tyres or 2 sets of wheels and tyres they swap over? Or are all season tyres ok?? Sorry I’m a bit clueless with all this so would appreciate some tips! Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Winter tyres

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:49 pm

Hi 8)

I'm not sure what you mean by, "Getting the van moved to 4 wheel drive".

But yes, all season tyres are exactly that, and very good.

Personaly I do have 2 sets of steel rims with winter and summer tyres and swap roughly November/March.

Hope that helps. :wink:
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:48 pm

I have 2 sets of tyres for both my Mazda 3 and my Bongo. This means I have to pay the garage everytime I swap them! I wasn't expecting my keep my 3 this long otherwise I would have bought a seperate set of wheels! I've only got stuck once in snow with winters on a FWD car and the Bongo with winters made it up everything I could find last year - my road is 90 degree start approx 1/4 gradient and had 7 inches of snow last year. I'm about to swap the Bongo to all seasons though as I think I can get away with it especially as fitting an LSD. Got a good deal on Michelin Allclimate+ which seem to get pretty good reviews.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:53 am

If you do a search for Maxxis AP2 tyres (and all season tyre) which a few of of have on here. They feel nice on the Bongo for the 700kms or so I have done on them.

Here you go you can have a read up:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72836&hilit=Maxxis+AP2
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Couldn't do without my winter tires on steels. We went to a Yurt a couple of weekends back when it was quite snowy in the mountains of mid wales. Had no problem with access at all where as others either got stuck or parked up and had to walk to the Yurts.

Return to “Techie Stuff”