Converting a 2WD to a 4WD

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Beakerboo
Junior Bongonaut

Converting a 2WD to a 4WD

Post by Beakerboo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi, we’ve got a diesel bongo 2WD, and moved into the country where the roads can be a bit icey and at the moment basically we are snowed in, I know you can buy 4WD but do you know if you can get the van converted from a 2WD to a 4WD, it is a big job, I don’t think I’d be up for it myself we are in Surrey so need a few good garages but no idea how much it would cost if doable at all
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Converting a 2WD to a 4WD

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Don't think I've heard of anyone doing it, all the extra parts new, front drive shafts, front diff, transfer box would make it pretty nonviable, would be easier and cheaper to buy an old vehicle with all the parts and transfer but then you have no idea of the state of those components.
Do you have proper snow tyres on, as without them even 4 wheel is going to struggle, you have to have the grip to the surface before any drive can take effect!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Beakerboo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Beakerboo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:46 pm

Hi, no no winter tyres I did post that separately , no idea what to look for do people tend to just swap the tyres over to the whole wheels, any tips?? sorry clueless !,
Beakerboo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Beakerboo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Or would all season tyres do the trick??
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:54 pm

Well start by getting new tyres, many people go for all season type rather than keeping two sets of wheels and tyres and swapping them round, given we only get these conditions for a few days to a week at most swapping wheels/tyres round seems troublesome.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Also, if you you're 2WD has an open diff, try and find a limited slip instead second hand. It will potentially double your drive / traction in slippy situations, no substitute for the actual grip of winter vs summer tyres but useful all the same

Return to “Techie Stuff”