Head Replacement Success - but need some help with front Heater and Rough Start/Idle

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jordan F
Junior Bongonaut

Head Replacement Success - but need some help with front Heater and Rough Start/Idle

Post by Jordan F » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:02 pm

Hey everyone,

I just want to put out a huge thank you to everyone who has chimed in over the last few months, and for the past help on the forum, my partner and I successfully replaced the head of our 1997 2.5 WLT Bongo, along with head gasket, thermostat, waterpump, coolant hoses and some other parts...took us a few months but very happy to have her back. HOWEVER, I still have a few concerns I'm hoping to clear up and get some advice on.

1st Issue, is that the front climate control doesn't seem to be producing any thing. The passenger fans on all settings including, AC and Heat aren't producing anything. Back heater seems to be working, but nothing in the front.

2nd, We've had it on the road the past two days, but both mornings after sitting overnight, the engine has a very rough start up and blows quite a bit of white smoke out the back of the engine for about 10-20 seconds. After this it seems to run great and starts up immediately.

So, just wondering if these two issues could be linked, or where I should start investigating the root of these issues?

Thanks everyone!
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Head Replacement Success - but need some help with front Heater and Rough Start/Idle

Post by teenmal » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:36 am

You need to check that the cooling system has been properly bled, then check the exhaust discharge to determine whether it is smoke or steam.

Take care

Return to “Techie Stuff”