STARTING PROBLEMS

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mrjackaustin
Apprentice Bongonaut

STARTING PROBLEMS

Post by Mrjackaustin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:51 pm

S.O.S
Can somebody please please help me get my Mazda bongo starting again! This is quite long winded but bear with me
I've changed my glow plugs, got two new batteries, starter motor is fine, changed all the filters, oil and still nothing! Weird thing though I got told to get a new relay, which I waited a week for, replaced it then the van started like new first time, happy days, until I drove it up to town and back left it over night (in -15) and now back to square one.

I can sit here turning the van over for quite a while as have two 75ah batteries, see smoke coming out the back but seems like no fuel is getting through, the pump seems fine, I've even tried start pilote which I know is bad but just need the van running.. I'm currently a sitting bit of scrap

I warm the plugs up at least 3-5 turns and even wait for a little ‘click’ after I read about on a different forum

Any help would be massively appreciated
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: STARTING PROBLEMS

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:58 pm

Which filters have you checked have you cleaned out the Banjo filter ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Smoke coming out the back would seem to indicate there is fuel going into the engine.

Which relay did you replace? If it started once this was replaced could it, or a related fuse, have failed again?

My guess is glow plugs so worth checking there is voltage to the rail, possibly shorted and blown fuse, especially if wrong length plugs fitted.

When you say, "Warm the plugs up 3-5 turns" turning the engine over won't heat the plugs. It's usual to turn 'ignition' on and wait for the glow plug light to go out, and yes, wait a few more seconds until you hear the 'click'.

2 Batteries, is this one starter plus a leisure battery, or does yours have the 'Winter Pack', ie 2 starter batteries?

If it's one starter battery 75 ah is a little low in the oomph department and -15 won't help.

Hopefully one of our more techie peeps will be able to help more, and a rough location will help us help you. :wink:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:09 pm

Hi, you need to test the Heater/Glow plugs and make sure that they are in fact heating up, if the temp is that low (wherever you are ) all 4 heaters need to be fully operational.

Take Care.

Return to “Techie Stuff”