Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

George217
Bongonaut

Odometer stopped working

Post by George217 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi all,

A question.

I recently filled up the Bongo, and reset the trip meter. It stopped working immediately, along with the odometer. I've done the usual things to get it going, by pushing and pulling the reset button, and even took the instrument panel off to check the back. I checked the cogs of the odometer, and made sure they weren't stuck etc, but still no luck. All other instruments work as they should.

The question I have, is: Do I need a replacement odometer, or would it be the connection (which I think I read, comes from the back of the gearbox)

Any help, tips or advice, as usual is greatly appreciated,

Mike
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Odometer stopped working

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Is the Speedometer working ? In which case the sensor is functioning, sounds more like it might be the mechanical link inside the odometer itself, its not about to turn over 99999 > 00000 or something where it might just be a friction problem ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, all other instruments including speedometer are working. I zeroed out the trip meter when I reset it, but the odometer is stuck on 67,402 kilometres, so no significant "click over" as far as numbers are concerned.

Mike
Mike

JAL supplied Caribbean Blue V6 Bongo with Skylift roof and rear conversion - Viv.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Interested in this thread. My trip meter has all but had it on resetting properly but so far i think my odometer is ok [-o<
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 pm

Might be worth, taking it out of the dash and seeing if you can use a small screwdriver to rotate the dials, it might just have managed to skip a tooth/tog and jammed up, otherwise you'll be looking for a replacement gauge I suspect, there have been reports before of stuck odometers on here before.
See here https://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum ... 05#p222705
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
George217
Bongonaut

Post by George217 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 am

Thanks Geoff

Yes, I’ve tried that - no joy. I suspected a new odometer unit would be required, so will get it sorted before the season starts in earnest.

Cheers

Mike
Mike

Return to “Techie Stuff”