Newbie LCA query

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BernieBongo1955
Bongonaut

Newbie LCA query

Post by BernieBongo1955 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Hello all fellow Bongonauts! Thinking of fitting a LCA to Bernie, checked in with two local garages (listed) both said that drilling into 18 year old header tank not recommended due to the brittle nature of the header tanks at this age, just wondered what the views of you guys are? Sorry if this sounds a dumb question but how would you prevent the "swarf" contaminating the coolant during the drilling of sensor hole?. One last question, did Bongo's ever have a factory fitted LCA. Thanks in anticipation. Paul.
P.S is checking of coolant and pipework enough to avoid head cooking an the absence of an LCA?
Paul - Gloucestershire -2001 2.5 V6 Pop Top
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken"
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Newbie LCA query

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi Paul

Only my opinion, but I don't think Bongos were factory fitted with LCAs.

Regarding swarf, the helix of the bit should move it outwards as you drill, and I think if the plastic was too brittle to drill the header tank would fail anyway.

Checking coolant on the drive won't warn you of loss as you're driving. Obviously good sense to keep an eye on things, but I like the LCA in addition, and it's certainly saved my engine once.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 am

Bob wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:07 pm Hi Paul

Only my opinion, but I don't think Bongos were factory fitted with LCAs.

Regarding swarf, the helix of the bit should move it outwards as you drill, and I think if the plastic was too brittle to drill the header tank would fail anyway.

Checking coolant on the drive won't warn you of loss as you're driving. Obviously good sense to keep an eye on things, but I like the LCA in addition, and it's certainly saved my engine once.
Welcome, and I agree with Bob on all his points. Maybe the garage just don't want the responsibility of something novel by way of a procedure :roll:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:02 am

BernieBongo1955 ,

It is a well known fact that some " bongo friendly " garages refuse to fit this "Type" of alarm to theses vehicles for various reasons. Its a matter of taking a chance if you so wish as a DIY .Personally I would Fit a temperature gauge that is in direct contact with the coolant, these can be obtained with an alarm function.

Take Care.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:36 am

Hi, well over 5000 header tanks have had their 20 year old headers tanks drilled to fit one of these types of alarms....there has been no reported problems....these old tanks are not brittle, they are very thick and robust.....not fitting a alarm could be a expensive mistake...
If you want one of ours which most peeps think are the best....ring H Q and ask for ‘Dad’s discount’
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
BernieBongo1955
Bongonaut

Post by BernieBongo1955 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:18 pm

A big thanks for all your responses. Definitely going for the LCA! Great to have the Bongo community to refer to :D
Happy travels...... Paul
Paul - Gloucestershire -2001 2.5 V6 Pop Top
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken"

Return to “Techie Stuff”