Finding the aircon leak

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cwilliams255
Bongolier

Finding the aircon leak

Post by cwilliams255 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi guys, I need some general advice on getting my aircon up and running again. Owned the bongo 2 years, aircon never worked. Got it regassed after pressure test showed no problems and was great - for a week 8)

I've traced all the pipe work which from my understanding might show an oil leak if there was a pin hole in a pipe for example (although the underneath of mine looks like its driven through an oil well anyway)

Things are know are

1) When regassed the compressor when engaged caused more significant load on the engine than I expected, at idle it didn't feel too far from stalling
2) The connection to the radiator at the top under the bonnet is cross-threaded

My current plan of action is to
  • remove the compressor and service it - any general advice here useful
  • Cap off the rear aircon since it won't be used and will simply things - probably fold and chemical metal approach on pipes which I've seen other do
  • Replace all O-rings
Then that leaves cross threaded connector, my assumption here is that the o-ring is ultimately responsible for quality of the seal and that actually so long as the fixings are tight, actually being cross-threaded probably won't be that much of an issue? I will however try and sort threads out.

Appreciate any advice anyone has to or details to make this job easier / increase success

Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Finding the aircon leak

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 pm

I don't think you'll see oil from an aircon leak.

Usualy a dye in the gas so you can find leaks with a UV lamp, but if the system has been empty for some while this may have worn away.

I don't think the system will seal with that cross threaded joint, and the threads may be damaged. :(

Good luck. :wink:
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:53 pm

A full set of O rings can be obtained from the Bongoland shop, see https://bongoland.co.uk/product-categor ... nt-system/
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:39 pm

Made a start on this today, compressor is fine. One of the o-rings from its pipework was a little degraded where it meets the main pipework. It was cold outside and I have no means of getting the vehicle off the ground so progress is slow. It has raised the following questions

- Blanking rear-air con, can you buy end caps to block it off? Ideally I'd do it at the connectors just above the exhaust. If its possible, any tips about undoing the couplings here? They are reasonably tricky to get at and a reasonable amount of force did nothing. It looks like undoing the exhaust support might make life considerably easier with access
- I've Ordered a new receiver drier HELLA: 8FT351197071 which is said to be compatible with OEM S09A61500, hopefully...
- I need to replace 61-463 NO.2 http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 02.html#10 however there are a few part numbers, how do I find the right part? Should I just get the pipe off and go to bongospare with it?
- I need to o-rings at some point before I start putting things back together
- Once I'm reasonably confident everything should be working, it is just a case of standard re-gas at garage or does it need an extended pressure test or evacuation since its been open to atmosphere

Thanks
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:43 am

Chris, give us the chassis number (VIN) of your vehicle and we can identify the correct pipe and O rings for you.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Hi Ian, I assume its the bit I put in the Russian site that's useful, if so SGL5-113516

Thanks
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:05 am

Yes, that's the one. The pipe you require is Mazda part S09A61464B. This is not available in UK but can be ordered from Japan, about 1 week turn around (subject to customs delays). Plus we have all the Aircon O Rings, and the blanking kit for the rear pipes. Best to email me [email protected] if you want to go ahead.
BongOutBienMorts
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongOutBienMorts » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:53 pm

Hello, I was wondering how you got on - if you found the problem?

I've been told there is a connection close to the air con tank beneath the middle seats that is often the culprit for slow leaks.

Would this be something that is easily identified/fixed?

Many Thanks.

Return to “Techie Stuff”