Automatic gear box pipes

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongogreenride
Bongonaut

Automatic gear box pipes

Post by bongogreenride » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Set off out today. Gear box oil dripping from pipes under van. Driver side. Can I get pipes. If so from where , or could a garage make them. Have to be lifted by breakdown. Unhappy. Advice please, live up far north Scotland. Not a pleasant experience.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Automatic gear box pipes

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bongogreenride
Bongonaut

Post by bongogreenride » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:21 pm

Thank you. Hope this is all I need. Really messy
bongogreenride
Bongonaut

Post by bongogreenride » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:26 am

Getting automatic bongo onto a low loader vehicle, without starting the engine, do I put gear lever in neutral and have to turn on ignition.
Or HOW do I get bongo moved without wrecking something ?????? :cry:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 am

My ATF pipes corroded through in the summer and caused me a lot of leaky drama. I topped up, took spare ATF and drove 30 mins to my mechanic Adrian, who said that if the fluid got low i'd know as it would stop changing gear properly (at which point i should stop driving and top up!). Happily i made it without that happening but it suggests to me you should be safe just running it long enough to get it on a low loader as long as there's some ATF in the box. Hopefully a techie can give a more expert view on it.

Incidentally, although i opted for a complete replacement pipe when my rear heater metal coolant pipe corroded through 2 years earlier, with the ATF pipes i opted to have corroded sections cut out and copper pipe spliced in. Adrian has done this on a lot of Bongos and it seems to give a good repair.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:42 pm

bongogreenride wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:26 am Getting automatic bongo onto a low loader vehicle, without starting the engine, do I put gear lever in neutral and have to turn on ignition.
Or HOW do I get bongo moved without wrecking something ?????? :cry:
Most low loaders would pull it on with a winch, gearbox in Neutral of course.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
bongogreenride
Bongonaut

Post by bongogreenride » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:52 am

Thank you for reply. The low loader did pull Henry onto vehicle, and he rests alone in a garage, wondering what his fate may be. The pipes have arrived from Ian, so we wait Henry`s surgery.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:07 pm

He won't like the operation, but I'm sure he will be fine once the anesthetic wears off.

He'll be like a spring chicken looking forward to a new season's adventures. 8)
bongogreenride
Bongonaut

Post by bongogreenride » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Oh how we hope so, he was towed to a garage we don't usually use, and not worked on bongos much, we hope they know how to refill the gear box from the dipstick..( can't find info about that). Just concerned about him all alone 60 miles away from us, and that the gears work ok, eg no rust in it etc...we hope for his spring chicken revival he is 20 yes old. Bless him.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Filling an auto box through the dip stick hole is pretty standard, and the only real Bongo Specific thing is bleeding the cooling system.

It's possible they may drain the coolant when working on Henry so I'd ask before collecting him. The auto box fluid is cooled in the bottom of the rad.

If you get any kind of vague answer question further before driving him, or do ask on here.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:29 am

Bob wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 pm Filling an auto box through the dip stick hole is pretty standard, and the only real Bongo Specific thing is bleeding the cooling system.

It's possible they may drain the coolant when working on Henry so I'd ask before collecting him. The auto box fluid is cooled in the bottom of the rad.

If you get any kind of vague answer question further before driving him, or do ask on here.

There is no reason to drain the coolant in order to fit new AT pipes/hoses.

Take care
bongogreenride
Bongonaut

Post by bongogreenride » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:13 am

Thank you for information on filling Henry's gear box/ cooling system.. Will ask on collection for sure.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:10 am

teenmal wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:29 am
Bob wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 pm Filling an auto box through the dip stick hole is pretty standard, and the only real Bongo Specific thing is bleeding the cooling system.

Take care

That doesn't mean it's never happened. :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 am

One thing I perhaps should have stressed before (although I guess I did at least imply it in an earlier post, and I think Bob had a subconscious feeling about it also in his caution about bleeding the coolant system) is that if the ATF pipes have corroded through then the tee-piece area in the rear heater circuit coolant pipes probably won't be far behind (in my case they got there first by a couple of years!). They are in the same exposed location. So it could be good planned maintenance to replace those now also as it'll be a major inconvenience if they let go when out in the wilderness (or even just on the road!) anywhere. The relevant metal coolant pipe is very long and a bit of a swine to get into position (lifting platform desirable for improved access) so that ups the (labour) cost i fear, plus they then will be draining and refilling the system and will need to follow correct procedure. But i see it in the context of an old vehicle that is bound to need these items done and i remind myself how little i paid for something with a spec superior to a more expensive (and equally old) VW. ;-)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 am

Bob wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:10 am
teenmal wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:29 am

Take care

That doesn't mean it's never happened. :wink:

That is the reason that I have mentioned the fact, peeps might have got the wrong message and thought that the coolant had to be drained in order to change/repair :shock:

Take Care

Return to “Techie Stuff”