Low Coolant Alarm & Engine Temp Monitor

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

71notout
Apprentice Bongonaut

Low Coolant Alarm & Engine Temp Monitor

Post by 71notout » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:04 am

Hi,

Having recently purchased a 2002 V6 petrol Bongo I think I am going to fit a Haydn low coolant alarm and TM4 dual sensor engine temp monitor for peace of mind.

I believe the best place to buy is from coolantalarms.co.uk

Does anyone know of any discount codes for Bongo Fury members? I cant see any in the special offers section?

I take it these are pretty easy to fit?

For the TM4, is it recommended to attach the sensors to the heads or the rocker covers?

Are there existing screw holes that can be utilised?

I'm still slightly nervous about drilling a whole in my header tank but loads of folk have done it so should be ok?

Cheers,
Steven
Katka
Bongolier

Re: Low Coolant Alarm & Engine Temp Monitor

Post by Katka » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:04 pm

I fitted exactly this set up and found basic diy skills more than enough to install. I had no problem making a suitable hole for the LCA sensor but I'd make sure the plastic is not too cold or it might be more brittle. The instructions for fitting the head temp sensors were clear, fix under existing bolts as I recall. The cables to the head sensors are very long and I shortened them. the copper inside is only 2 or 3 very fine strands which I found to be a pain to cut then splice and solder. Do this somewhere comfy if you do the same.
I hope neither device ever activates in anger, but having them there is a comfort.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Katka,do you have a link to the alarms that you used and your opinion.

Take care.
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:39 pm

teenmal wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:18 pm do you have a link to the alarms that you used and your opinion.
The LCA was off ebay and about £20, but it was a while ago so I don't have a link. There's a video showing installation of a similar device https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTk7NtKhRiM

I fitted the TM4 twin with custom display eg separate temp reading for each bank of the V6 from here http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk/shop/inde ... at&catId=7. It's not an elegant box and the hardest part was finding a suitable spot that wasn't an eyesore.

As I saw it there was not a lot to lose and potentially quite a lot to gain by fitting them. From reading the forum, if I had to make a choice, I'd install the LCA first and the TM4 later.
Like Insurance, both items are unneeded until they are needed. Fortunately neither have activated a warning (yet) but their presence do give comfort and if the worst happens could save a lot of cash. Both items do what they are supposed to do and apart from the fiddliness when shortening the TM4 sensor cables - 6m long I think - were easy to install even for a diy-er.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 pm

teenmal wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:18 pm Katka,do you have a link to the alarms that you used and your opinion.

Take care.
Is this the unit that you fitted?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Low-Coolant- ... rk:21:pf:0
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Yes, that's the one or so similar I can't tell the difference. I think it did came from Suffolk too, so the same supplier, but my ebay history doesn't go back far enough to confirm it.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:17 am

I have that fitted to my Bongo has been on for over a year and no issues. Good price and well made.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Drilled my hole 12 years ago with the sharp drill bit supplied with the Haydn kit and no issues despite my fears (actually 2 holes on the first models so twice as scary!). In those days the engine block alarm was a separate item - TM2 - so not sure if yours is bulkier but mine sits very well on the lowest bit of the fascia (near my left knee) where it is very visible to the driver but not visually intrusive in the cab nor blocking access to - for example- the centre cubby hole. I always support Haydn Alarms as Haydn was the Bongo owner who thought to make available the much needed LCA to Bongo owners, some time before you could buy cheaper alternatives. You can buy cheaper, but I doubt any supplier matches overall the combination of after sales support, spec and quality and although more expensive its a trifle compared to the cost of consequences of not fitting (the best) one. And anyway, Haydn is Bongo Family and I'm a sentimentalist :lol:
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:21 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:31 pm I always support Haydn Alarms as Haydn was the Bongo owner who thought to make available the much needed LCA to Bongo owners, some time before you could buy cheaper alternatives. You can buy cheaper, but I doubt any supplier matches overall the combination of after sales support, spec and quality and although more expensive its a trifle compared to the cost of consequences of not fitting (the best) one. And anyway, Haydn is Bongo Family and I'm a sentimentalist :lol:
Totally agree, Mike.

When my original rad started leaking my nose was my coolant alarm and being an old hand I recognised the smell of hot antifreeze steam.

I invested in one of Haydn's alarms and not only has it given me reassurance but also saved me when the water pump decided it was time to weep.

The start up bleep is so much a part of my life that I'm sure I would notice if it didn't sound!

Recently I've heard a few muted mini squawks and although they are usually due to the wiring needing brightening up, I always check the level as soon as possible. The bonus is that the mini squawks pester me into checking the integrity of the wiring at the earliest opportunity.

It's no understatement that these devices have done more for the Bongo species than any other accessory.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 am

71notout wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:04 am Hi,

Having recently purchased a 2002 V6 petrol Bongo I think I am going to fit a Haydn low coolant alarm and TM4 dual sensor engine temp monitor for peace of mind.

Does anyone know of any discount codes for Bongo Fury members? I cant see any in the special offers section?

For the TM4, is it recommended to attach the sensors to the heads or the rocker covers?

I'm still slightly nervous about drilling a whole in my header tank but loads of folk have done it so should be ok?

Cheers,
Steven
Hi,
Phone Jo (No on website) and ask for ‘dad’s discount,
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:00 am

71notout wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:04 am Hi,

Cheers,
Steven
Thousands of tanks have been drilled without any reported problems....we did extensive tests whilst developing these alarms with the help of Bongo Fury members.
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:09 am

One thing to consider when buying the cheaper eBay offering.....our alarm self tests (beeps/flash from LED)....you have to remember to manually test the eBay version....forget to test and you don’t know your alarm is working. As with most things in life you get what you pay for.
Also BMW Clocks
71notout
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by 71notout » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Just ordered both a LCA and TM4 with custom display from Jo.

Thanks for all your help with this folks.

Return to “Techie Stuff”