Solar panel on after market pop top

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongold
Bongonaut

Solar panel on after market pop top

Post by Bongold » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 pm

I have a roof similar to this one:

I am installing a solar panel and have the controller wired in with the cables coming into the roof area behind the tail gate. I'd like to know the best way to get the wire routed. It has to go through the roof, up behind the canvas then through the actual pop top. When the roof closes the entry point in the van would be covered by the pop top.

I was wondering if a cable box and gland would be best on the pop top, then another plain gland into the van. The cable between the two would partially curl up under the roof when closed. It's a single cable H07RN-F 10 mm diameter

ImageImage

Any one done this type of install and is there a clever way of doing it that I'm missing?

cheers! :D
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Re: Solar panel on after market pop top

Post by Tony x » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:01 am

I was going to do what you're suggesting but ended up simply drilling holes at quite a shallow angle through the pop top roof ( we have the standard aft) and threading the cables through the holes with plenty of Sikaflex 512 to ensure water could not get through.
The wires go through a rubber grommet in the metal part of the roof which is also water tight.
There is purposely around 20 cms horizontal spacing between the pop top and metal roof hole which, along with a couple of loose cable ties, ensure the cables fold up properly when the roof is down

Return to “Techie Stuff”