Wiring up a new radio - help!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ChuckHunky
Junior Bongonaut

Wiring up a new radio - help!

Post by ChuckHunky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:59 pm

After a couple of years of only being able to receive Radio 2 through the radio that came with our Bongo, we finally gave in and have bought a new stereo, hurray! Now comes the small matter of fitting it.

I managed to remove the old radio and my hopes of it being a straightforward job were instantly dashed. This is what I was greeted with:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/P4wo8XrbbAe3RkzU9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EykiCPPpDbDdyVUr6

When I ordered the stereo, the Halfords website told me I needed one of these adapters, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 so I duly ordered one.

Although the adapter has not yet arrived, I can tell it's not going to fit.

I'm perturbed by the apparent wire splicing that has happened, so I'm wondering if I'm now out of my depth. Unfortunately, the old stereo has no identification whatsoever, so I've no hope of getting a wiring diagram for it.

I found this thread: viewtopic.php?t=73168 which has some very useful info in it, so that might be a glimmer of hope!

Page 32 of the manual for the new stereo has lots of useful connection info https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/supp ... 96843M.pdf So I'm confident I know what's going on at that end.

So, in my head, it would be a process of working through the wiring detailed in the new stereo's manual, finding the equivalent wire in the thread linked above and splicing them together. Does that sound in any way sane?

I'm also concerned about the antenna, as you can perhaps see from the photos, it's wired in to the blue wire, so I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm also confused by the mention of:

Perm Live Blue/red
Acc Live Dark Blue

in the link above and am not sure what the difference is.

Wow, that was way longer than I expected and I'm *sure* it's much simpler than I'm making it, so any pointers at all will be gratefully received!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Wiring up a new radio - help!

Post by g8dhe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:40 pm

The connectors have been changed over the years, the version you have looks like it needs the PC2-78-4 adaptor to ISO standard, looking at the pictures, but try to confirm this before buying! The older version needed the PC2-10-4 version, searching those codes on Google will find you the various pictures and prices.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:42 pm

What age van is it? Mine was a 2003 and total mare to sort out as it had some amazing aftermarket mini disc thing fitted. I'm now using a double din job that has sat nav etc. I'll look back through my receipts and see what adapter I used.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
ChuckHunky
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ChuckHunky » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:59 am

g8dhe wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:40 pm The connectors have been changed over the years, the version you have looks like it needs the PC2-78-4 adaptor to ISO standard, looking at the pictures, but try to confirm this before buying! The older version needed the PC2-10-4 version, searching those codes on Google will find you the various pictures and prices.
Looking at the PC2-78-4 and my connector, I think you're right! I've ordered one (at £4 it's worth a shot). Fingers crossed. Many thanks for your help!
ChuckHunky
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ChuckHunky » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:00 am

TheLongRoad wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:42 pm What age van is it? Mine was a 2003 and total mare to sort out as it had some amazing aftermarket mini disc thing fitted. I'm now using a double din job that has sat nav etc. I'll look back through my receipts and see what adapter I used.
Thanks very much for that. Mine is a 2002, so I'm guessing it would use the same adapter as you. As g8dhe mentioned, the PC2-78-4 looks like a likely candidate, so I'm going to give that a go. Thanks very much for your help :)
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Can confirm it was a PC2-78-4 that I used. I fitted one of the Pumpkin double din android head units that does the satnav and has a reverse camera. Has worked fine through the standard speakers.

Open your glove box and push the brackets in to remove the whole box. You can the get your hand behind the dash and see how to guide the cables behind the radio. Makes life easier.
ChuckHunky
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ChuckHunky » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:40 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:31 pm Can confirm it was a PC2-78-4 that I used. I fitted one of the Pumpkin double din android head units that does the satnav and has a reverse camera. Has worked fine through the standard speakers.

Open your glove box and push the brackets in to remove the whole box. You can the get your hand behind the dash and see how to guide the cables behind the radio. Makes life easier.
Thanks for checking, much appreciated! Thanks also for the glove box tip, that should simply things. Now to wait impatiently for the adapter to arrive!
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:04 pm

Which radio have you decided to fit? Double din or single?
ChuckHunky
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ChuckHunky » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 am

TheLongRoad wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:04 pm Which radio have you decided to fit? Double din or single?
I went for this one in the end https://www.halfords.com/technology/car ... car-stereo

Fitted it yesterday with the PC2-78-4 adapter mentioned earlier and it works perfectly. Thanks everyone for all your help!
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:03 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:31 pm Pumpkin double din android head units that does the satnav and has a reverse camera.
Have you got a link? How are you finding it?

Return to “Techie Stuff”