Difficult cold starting and white smoke

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Merlot man
Bongolier

Difficult cold starting and white smoke

Post by Merlot man » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:12 pm

Hello all
For the last while now the bus finds it difficult start first thing in the morning or when cold , coughing , spluttering and white smoke for about 30 seconds , then all returns to normal .
I've changed the heater plugs and the cold start solenoid but the problem persists , where else do you all recommend I look ?
Would the heater plug relay cause this and how do I check that it still works , I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to electrics :lol:
Any and all advice greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Brian
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Difficult cold starting and white smoke

Post by sotal » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I'm in a similar position. I find a gentle increase in revs stops the smoke. I've heard all sorts of possibilities such as valve clearances, pin holes in tubes, leaky fuel pump, leaky injectors etc.

Mine has been like this for a few years and has got no worse, once winter is over mine is ok. It is just starting to get worse now the cold weather is starting.

To answer your question though, you need to test the voltage on the rail between the glow plugs. It should show 12v when the key is first turned. You will need a multimeter to check.

If it isn't showing 12v then it could be the relay or the fusible link.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Or just use a 12 volt lamp on wires between earth and the busbar that connects the glowplugs together, it should light up when ignition first goes on and then will go out when the relay clicks off under the bonnet, this won't be the same as the timer lamp on the dashboard!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Years back mine was fussier than it is now (turned out a glow plug was failing. But its always started at the touch of the key. What it has never liked (in cold weather especially) is any attempt to increase throttle except super gently, but bedt not at all. Even turning the steering wheel (increased backload on engine due to power assist pump) could set it chugging if i did a u turn straight after start up. I always let it idle for a minute or so before moving off.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Good evening all and thanks for the replies .
My plan is to give her a good look over this Saturday and il be sure to check the voltage at the busbar .
When you say pin holes in the piping sotal do you mean the vacuum pipes ?
Thanks again
Brian
Kirsty1330
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Kirsty1330 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:54 am

Sorry it’s not related to your issue... i’m new & have absolutly NO idea how to post a question for some help!
If anyone can give me some info on how to post my questions it would be much appreciated
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:25 am

Hi Kirsty, and welcome. 8)

Just select the section where you want to post, say Techie, Bongo Chat, Off Message, (we won't tell you off if it's not quite the right place), then near the top left click 'New Topic' and Hey Presto...

We'll help if we can.

Hope that helps. :wink:
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Good evening all
I've finally got around to looking at the voltage at the glow plug bus bar and its 11.35 v , it goes to 0 when the relay switches off , I can hear it .
My question is is this enough volts going to the plugs ? The voltage at the starter battery is 12.6 v
Thanks in advance
Brian
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:50 pm

Merlot man wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:45 pm Good evening all
I've finally got around to looking at the voltage at the glow plug bus bar and its 11.35 v , it goes to 0 when the relay switches off , I can hear it .
My question is is this enough volts going to the plugs ? The voltage at the starter battery is 12.6 v
Thanks in advance
Brian
Those values sound a little low to me. How new is the starter battery and what capacity/power/CCA is it?
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:10 am

Hello Mike
I have the bus just over two years so it's least that old , I don't know it's power but I'll look at that later
Brian
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:54 am

Did you measure the battery voltage when off-load or whilst the glowplugs were operating ? 11.3 volts is getting a bit low, but not seriously low, if its low at the battery whilst the plugs are operating then suspect the battery might be getting tired or possibly not fully charged.
If it really is 12.6 volts when the glow plugs are operating then check the connectors on the fusible link and the relay for corrosion, if every thing is fine then it could be dirty relay contacts which need cleaning.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:08 am

Merlot man wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:45 pm Good evening all
Thanks in advance
Brian

That voltage is normal for the heater plugs, the plugs are usually 11volt rated. Does the battery reading increase when you switch off the ignition.?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:20 am

Merlot man wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:10 am Hello Mike
I have the bus just over two years so it's least that old , I don't know it's power but I'll look at that later
Brian
As Geoff says, its the voltage under load (and remember that includes supplying adequate voltage to plugs whilst starter motor is turning) that is the big deal. A tired battery may only give itself away when under load. Whats the power/CCA rating of the current batttery by the way? I'd always advise the most power you can afford (85ah or higher, not sure what CCA as i never worked with those!) as best serving longevity and reliable starting. But thats just my view!
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Hello all
I've taken the battery out to charge , it's an alpha batteries power plus or something , I googled it and it's rated at 68 amps :shock: . Is this a bit weak for the bongo in winter ?
I've no idea as to its age but it's at least over 2 years old and looking at it this age could be a conservative estimate :x
I seen Geoff ,in another tread , suggest the Bosch S4 335 ? At €245 it's a bit pricey but I might consider it as it's a 95 amp unit .
I have also cleaned the relay connections but being honest they looked very good .
Ive also ordered some injector cleaner and some BG244 which will be here by the weekend
The only other thing I can think of are the injectors themselves , can anyone tell me if there's much work in replacing these and what to look out for .
Despite the price the battery might not be a bad investment either way .
As always any and all advice is greatly appreciated
Brian
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes a 68 AmpHr unit is on the low side, especially after a few years.
Typical price here https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/ ... 0&cc5_1013 but certain you can get it cheaper by looking around.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”