Diesel switch off before full warm up....

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Diesel switch off before full warm up....

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:59 pm

I am fairly sure I had read somewhere that it is not good for a diesel engine to be driven and
switched off before it had got to operating temperature and I wondered what the reason was.

I may have read it on here or somewhere else. Does anyone know the reason. Thanks.

The reason I ask is that I now do 1 short journey a week to the supermarket and I try and get it to
78C before I switch it off, I go the slightly longer route to get temps up a bit. Is my reasoning flawed, did I
imagine this ? :lol: (I am aware that for any car it is good to pump some hot gas through the exahaust in winter to dry it out)

I did do a google for it but could not bring anything up.
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Diesel switch off before full warm up....

Post by Flanners » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:21 pm

I think it would be safe to say short journeys are not good for either engine, lubrication issues, possible lack of 'enough' battery charging, exhaust corrosion, increased belching of harmful emissions, low mpg (I know this is a penchant). What do you categorise as a short journey? Does the Bongo have a DPF, guess that would start getting choked on frequent short hops, once a week is no problem and whilst not great is not going to really impact on your Bongo's lifespan or cause issues that you have to alter your journey or day to heat up the engine.

However, with motorbikes and cars laid up over Winter for 6months I used to think it was helpful to start them up infrequently and warm them up, have not done that for years as I reckon that it probably causes more issues than just leaving them be and just condition the batteries on trickle chargers.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:46 pm

I may be mistaken but I thought there was something specific regarding diesels. Was it seals or something ?

I cannot recall now, thanks for replying anyway.
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:21 pm

However, with motorbikes and cars laid up over Winter for 6months I used to think it was helpful to start them up infrequently and warm them up
I have 2 in here at the moment with fuel system problems: a Honda ST1300 and a DRZ400. Owner was starting them every month through the winters, warming up then shutting off. Came to put them back on the road this summer and both were dead. One needs a fuel pump, filter and tank clean, the other a new carb.
I'm convinced the best way to winterize an engine is to leave it alone.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:34 am

My diesel Bongo cracked its head after 9 years in my ownership despite excellent maintenance. I had used it every day for a relatively short commute plus for shorts trips ferrying kids. It occurred to me the engine had been put through a lot of thermal cycles, which might have exacerbated a known weakness in the WLT type engine. I always try and let mine idle for a minute or two from a cold start before putting it to work.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks for the insights Mike, well you know ours had a new head 2 years back, been perfect since as it was done by Allans.

I have been looking into it a little and the accepted knowledge now is drive off within 30 seconds. Idling is supposedly one of the slowest forms of warm up (especially diesel) and a time of potential significant wear, cold and less well lubricated. Do read into it for yourself though, I am no expert. I think common sense applies really.. No.1 you don't want to be tearing off down the road on a frosty morn. (with iron filing sparks coming out the exhaust :lol: )

My current approach is head off within 30 seconds and then keep revs under 2,000 or lower in the first minute or so. This can be a little annoying if someone gets behind me but I just pull over on a side road and let them scoot by. No rushing around for me, I take my time and enjoy the ride.

Just done the oil and can always feel that, after 3K miles diesel seems ever so slightly more "gruff" to me. I am sticking with the more regular changes now, but will use more economic oils that are still up to spec.

I did find this and whilst marine specific it is echoed online for cars etc.

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/main ... gine-myths
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:08 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:31 pm Thanks for the insights Mike, well you know ours had a new head 2 years back, been perfect since as it was done by Allans.

I have been looking into it a little and the accepted knowledge now is drive off within 30 seconds. Idling is supposedly one of the slowest forms of warm up (especially diesel) and a time of potential significant wear, cold and less well lubricated. Do read into it for yourself though, I am no expert. I think common sense applies really.. No.1 you don't want to be tearing off down the road on a frosty morn. (with iron filing sparks coming out the exhaust :lol: )

My current approach is head off within 30 seconds and then keep revs under 2,000 or lower in the first minute or so. This can be a little annoying if someone gets behind me but I just pull over on a side road and let them scoot by. No rushing around for me, I take my time and enjoy the ride.

Just done the oil and can always feel that, after 3K miles diesel seems ever so slightly more "gruff" to me. I am sticking with the more regular changes now, but will use more economic oils that are still up to spec.

I did find this and whilst marine specific it is echoed online for cars etc.

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/main ... gine-myths

You Must Be a Laugh a Minute when your Driving. :shock: :shock: [-o< [-o<
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:25 pm

I just want to make the Bongo last as long as I can. And I am under no illusions that getting into a car
and availing yourself to the P*** poor driving standards on U.K roads is probably the single riskiest activity
in modern life.

Road deaths are at a five year high, it comes as no surprise.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:04 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:25 pm I just want to make the Bongo last as long as I can. And I am under no illusions that getting into a car
and availing yourself to the P*** poor driving standards on U.K roads is probably the single riskiest activity
in modern life.

Ignore teenmal - its probably just the Halloween Effect :wink: :lol:

Interesting about the 30 sec thing. I've always just followed what my mechanic told me many years ago (i.e. don't drive off straight after start). But like so many things, I guess views on best practice change. :roll:
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:04 pm
BongoBongo123 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:25 pm I just want to make the Bongo last as long as I can. And I am under no illusions that getting into a car
in modern life.

Ignore teenmal - its probably just the Halloween Effect :wink: :lol:

Interesting about the 30 sec thing. I've always just followed what my mechanic told me many years ago (i.e. don't drive off straight after start). But like so many things, I guess views on best practice change. :roll:

I can just imagine you guys doing a Tribal dance round your auld bongo before you set of, and even putting a garland of flowers on the front bumper.

=D> =D> :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> [-o< [-o<

Anyway you take care.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 pm

It might actually be a good Idea , get the right person and away you go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SoTfaVwcYY
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:13 pm

teenmal wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 pm It might actually be a good Idea , get the right person and away you go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SoTfaVwcYY
I'll see if Ben is free to join us. He'll probably want some cider popping in the header tank and his favourite Weed garlanded along with the flowers. We don't want any crack(ed) heads as a result of rushing at things. :lol: 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:17 pm

Love it. 8)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Garlands (fake plastic ones) seem to be quite common hanging from the internal mirror of VW camper drivers.

I have been to India many times and trust me they need as many blessing they can get. Never have I felt as close
to death than being in vehicles in India. It is one of the main reasons I no longer go there.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Don't think short no warm up journey any problem for diesel bongo. Had ours for a lot of years, every morning short journey to take dog for a walk. Never had any problem with with engine due to this. Avoiding cooling issues I think the 2.5diesel engine is a brilliant engine

Return to “Techie Stuff”