Full rubber hose replacement price ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Full rubber hose replacement price ?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:09 am

The other day I started to wonder if it was worth getting as many of the rubber
pipes as possible replaced and what could be the rough cost.

I can see quite a few are available for the 2.5D

Does anyone know what the cost might be ?

Within 2 years I am due a coolant replacement and wondered if it might be the right time to get all the 21 year old hoses
replaced for the sake of reliability and longevity.

Anyone had this done ?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Full rubber hose replacement price ?

Post by teenmal » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:03 pm

This should give you an idea of the costs,then you have labour on top if you cannot Diy.

https://bongoland.co.uk/product-category/hoses/
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm considering this for our V6, which is slowly losing coolant.

From that link (thanks teenmal) I'm reckoning on £378 for a full set inc the rear heater hoses.

Plus replacement coolant and, in our case, a thermostat too, as it didn't get changed when the water pump was replaced.

Probably £500 in parts, and a bunch of labour.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Full set of main coolant hoses for V6 or 2 litre is £203 including VAT & delivery, £214 for the diesel. A set of rear heater hoses is £175.

The V6 thermostat is £37.

All of the above are in stock. There is a 12.5% discount for club members.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:20 pm

The chances are that it seems to be a prudent move, all running ok at the moment but it would give piece of mind
as we have no plan at all to get rid of the Bongo.. in fact if anything we love and care for it even more as it is our only vehicle.
Thanks for the info and good to know the club has the parts as well Ian.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:35 pm

Not sure if the full hose set is just the rubber hoses, but my main issue was both rear heater steel pipes had corroded. Might want to check and factor that cost too if required.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Good reminder.. yes I was coy enough to seal them up (Kurust/Hammerite etc.) from the outside at least when we got the Bongo
and they seem not to have changed to the eye. Not saying they are totally immune from future corrosion
but were addressed (along with crossmember) as I scanned the forum for weak spots on the Bongo.

Hopefully scheduled coolant changes will slow it with its corrosion inhibitors. I bought one of the long rear heater pipes (driver side) and have it
stashed under the stairs.

I suspect I may just grab the full set from the Bongo shop when flush with cash and then get Allens to swap em all over when he does the coolant
when I get that done (bit of a while off yet). I will contact him well in advance to schedule an overnight run down there, with luck it is a job that can be sorted in a day.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:28 pm

For the drivers side steel pipe with tee piece you’ll need to jack the Bongo up approx 6” to get the wiggle room to remove old and fit new. I was then defeated with the pipe that goes across the gearbox. a) you can’t see it and b) without removing gearbox I don’t see how you’d get that one out / in. Maybe on a 4 post lift? Anyway, mine now has a new top quality rubber hose approx 2 metres to by pass that pipe.
Also, on the 2 ltr, I never managed to get the alleged 13 ltr of coolant out - only 11 ltr. That includes removing bottom hose and drain in top steel pipe.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.

Return to “Techie Stuff”