Best advice required.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongoroy63
Bongolier

Best advice required.

Post by bongoroy63 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 am

I have to admit that since buying a caravan earlier this year my bongo has taken a bit of a back seat and not used much. I have considered selling him, but something inside ‘no, he’s your best friend’.
I took him in for a service and was a bit surprised at the report I got on his welfare. He was obviously a bit poorly so I had to make a decision on what to do next.
Some things were quite minor but others gave me food for thought.
1. The bearing on the front prop shaft was on it’s way out. This was the reason for the shuddering when I went over 40.
2. The top radiator hose was swelling when under pressure.
3. The hoses going to the rear heater were corroding.
4. My tow bar, which was bolted on one side and welded on the other, had the welding breaking up.
5. The steering rack may need replacing.

Other things on the list were mentioned but not too serious. As my van is a ‘luxury’ and not needed every day I had to consider the economics.
This brings me to asking some advice on the repairs that need doing.
1/ it was suggested to me that I could just take off the front prop shaft and have it as a two wheel drive rather than 4. I’m not that bothered about the 4 wheel drive as I don’t go anywhere off road. How easy is it to take off the prop shaft or replace the bearing. INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE!
2/ If I replace the top radiator hose, do I have to bleed/drain the radiator, thus needing the dreaded bleeding?
3/ How difficult is it to replace the rear heater hoses?
4/ I can sort the welding on the tow bar.
5/ how difficult/expensive is the steering rack to replace?

I like to think I’m pretty useful with a spanner but could do with some pointing in the right direction. Any advice would be gratefully received.
I can, I do, I did.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Best advice required.

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:35 am

Hello Roy

Not a complete answer, but (from memory reading on here) converting to rear wheel drive is quite simple,

The rear heater can be blanked off if you don't need it,

Yes, you will need to bleed the system if you work on the cooling system, unless you have a 2 ltr petrol, but the coolant should be replaced at 2 or 5 years (depending on type) anyhow. :wink:

Not sure about the steering rack, but certainly looks worth like doing. 8)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:05 pm

bongoroy63 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 am 1/ it was suggested to me that I could just take off the front prop shaft and have it as a two wheel drive rather than 4. I’m not that bothered about the 4 wheel drive as I don’t go anywhere off road. How easy is it to take off the prop shaft or replace the bearing. INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE!

There's a fact sheet in the members area of the main Bongo Fury website that tells you how to do this.

2/ If I replace the top radiator hose, do I have to bleed/drain the radiator, thus needing the dreaded bleeding?
3/ How difficult is it to replace the rear heater hoses?

It's not difficult to replace the hoses, but it may be difficult to get the old clamps off if they are corroded. So replace these at the same time. And, as Bob says, you will have to drain the system. The club shop keeps all hoses and clamps in stock.

4/ I can sort the welding on the tow bar.
5/ how difficult/expensive is the steering rack to replace?

A reconditioned steering rack is available from www.mazdabongo.com for £248 plus delivery. Again, there's a fact sheet in the members area.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
bongoroy63
Bongolier

Post by bongoroy63 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks Bob and Ian, you answered my questions as I expected. The only part that scares me is the bleeding of the system.

I feel quite confident that I can do the rest. I’ll be placing an order soon with the club shop and hopefully get these things done.

Thanks again for your help!
I can, I do, I did.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:50 pm

Doubtless you're aware of the videos by some old lags on here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=st ... 9fv_y_fO8g

I've not bled the thing myself but having seen it done for real it doesn't seem so bad as long as you allow time for it, and remember it's a noisey business so plan a sensible time so as not to get the neighbours 'bleeding' mad. :wink:

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”