Waxoyl, Zeibart etc

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bonneville
Bongolier

Waxoyl, Zeibart etc

Post by Bonneville » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm agnostic when it comes to Waxoyl and Zeibart. Great when new, worse than nothing if old and breached. Here's what can happen when these coatings trap water to the panel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXvl9nt57Kg

I notice the yanks use something called 'Fluid Film' and coat everything including suspension bits. Anyone tried it or similar in UK or are we all Waxoyl devotees?
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Waxoyl, Zeibart etc

Post by Flanners » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Yikes! I get paranoia every so often on this issue, my Bongo is sound and in excellent condition, had the interior panels off and it has been treated inside and out, cavities, arches etc....it's only preventative as the reality is at some stage the tin worm will get to it. Hopefully not for a good few years yet though.

Have used and had professionally applied Waxoyl, Dinitrol etc on various cars, preperation is the key. I tend not to use the Bongo if the roads are heavily salted and it is raining/wet/snow/ice. I take the Bongo out locally on nice dry days only during the Winter. Still reckon it will slowly rust on the drive though :(. Conversely the other school of thought is use it as much as possible and treat any issue that arises or sell/junk the car.

I have an MG F (16 years) and TF (4 years) both kept outside (run out of garage space) year round and they have no corrosion issues at all (but are known to corrode their subframes, wings, sills etc) but then they are not ever driven in the Winter or parked on grass. I keep all my car's arches spotless and the mud etc washed out, annually I take off the plastic too to wash and clean out the moisture/dirt trap behind.

I guess I would rather have a decent layer of Waxoyl on the Bongo than nowt...>ACF 50 has helped over the years too on the underside components.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Bonneville
Bongolier

Re: Waxoyl, Zeibart etc

Post by Bonneville » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:55 am

Ah, yes, the 'don't get it wet' school of rust prevention :) I've been there with old Fords. It's been a long time since I had a vehicle that was crusty. Modern Germans have been the diet for a while so Bongo is bringing it all back home.
Like your MG collection, pretty and underrated but not expensive. ACF50 is great and reminds me to get some in as mine is down to the vapour.

Return to “Techie Stuff”