AFT Motor housing screws

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cmm303
Supreme Being

AFT Motor housing screws

Post by cmm303 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 am

Does anybody, on the off chance, know the screw size that holds the two halves of the AFT roof motor housing together?

I have a reluctant roof and after checking out so many things decided to "service" the motors using the Rob Feakins' fact sheet on BF. Stripped and reassembled one motor but cannot shift one of the screws on the other. It was going to get messy (drilling, tapping etc) so ran out of time and put it all back in the roof so I can leave it with the roof down until time permits. Unfortunately :oops: I forgot to note the size of the screw :oops: and want to be prepared with right size drill, tap and replacement screw before my next attempt which will be when many "proper" shops are shut.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Bonneville
Bongolier

Re: AFT Motor housing screws

Post by Bonneville » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:55 am

Can't help with the screw size but I use a small Makita cordless impact on tight Phillips (I'm assuming Philips rather than a bolt) heads now and I haven't stripped one since. If I don't have the space for it, I use a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) Phillips screwdriver. They are not easy to find but JIS Phillips is not the same as regular Phillips and it makes a big difference if you have a tight one.

JIS here:

[url][/https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JIS-Screwdri ... 5.m3226url]

I buy bucket loads of stainless screws and bolts from e-bay when restoring Jap bikes so I don't get caught. Most are M6 with occasional M8 or 10 on Bongo.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Bonneville wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:55 am Can't help with the screw size but I use a small Makita cordless impact on tight Phillips (I'm assuming Philips rather than a bolt) heads now and I haven't stripped one since.
Thanks for the tip. Will look at that as a little investment. I shifted 3 out of 4 using a combination of time, penetrating oil, mole wrench and an old school impact driver and they still look like screws :D . Unfortunately the 4th is beyond being treated as a screw anymore!
Chris with BertieB
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 am

I feel your pain. Sometimes those suckers just want to stay at home.

Nice to see someone refer to a self-grip wrench as a 'Mole' wrench. I have one at home and still call it that. I nicked it off my dad 30 years ago but it's still the go-to thing when nothing else works.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:22 pm

To complete the post for future reference.

The screws are M5 pan head, 8mm long. 10mm length will work for the open ended hole but too long for the blind hole.
Chris with BertieB

Return to “Techie Stuff”