underseal

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

pen11

underseal

Post by pen11 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:55 pm

how can i tell if my bongo has already been undersealed?? it had been in the country for 3 years before i bought it this summer and from reeding the underseal info it advises this job be done when the bongo enters the county... now im getting worried that it wasnt done and im gonna have a lot of problems with it?
Bingabanga

Underseal

Post by Bingabanga » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:53 pm

Can I suggest you have alook?? Lay on your back and look underneath. If it is covered in black bitumen type stuff then it is undersealed. If it is shiney paint with afew rust spots then it has not been done.
pen11

Post by pen11 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:08 am

now i feel awfully embaressed with my lack of knowledege on the car front... i did have a look under the van prior to this thread but i have to say i dont know to much on the underseal front so didnt know wot i was looking for. but i did notice that the underside of my van was silver so from your advice i guess i can therefore assume that it has not yet been undersealed.. i guess my next question from this is ..... has it been left to late to underseal it?... will i just be locking in problems?
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:09 am

It is never too late! No salt has gone down on the roads yet (just) and wht has happened in previous years in the UK, you cannot do anything about. What you do need to do is find a company who will look for and remove rust rather than blindly spraying waxoil and sealing rust in.

There have been numerous recommendations of operatives which will be revealed via SEARCH. Hopefully you can find one in or near to your area.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
andyfb78

Post by andyfb78 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:56 am

see my recommendation for chassis clean (google this).
They are not cheap... £387, but do a thorough job over 3-4 days, and use dinitrol rather than waxoyl...
I'm very impressed with them.
If it is inspected and cleaned properly you'll be ok. they steam clean properly to remove any loose rust and muck, and then dry in a heated barn for a day.
he reckoned it would be fine for at least 10years!
Andy
mellyarnold

underseal

Post by mellyarnold » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:16 am

i know this subject has probably been done to death and have searched and read through all of the threads regarding this subject but as a new freda owner would really like to get this one right. We pick up our Freda in a couple of weeks so have a couple of weeks to organise suitable undersealing/waxoil/dinitrol etc. The freda hasnt had any undersealing as of yet so we treating this as an urgent requirement. We live in Cheshire and would welcome any recommendations for local garages that fellow bongo owners have experienced and been satisfied with the results. Have i understood this right that waxoil is ok for belly but need something a little more heavy duty for wheel arches etc? what should we budget for as prices on here seem to be so varied, i dont want to get ripped off but want to be able to explain to garage exactly what i want without sounding too novice. cheers mel n adam
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:27 am

Melly, I have just read this AFTER sending my PM to you.

Ask Manc Campers if he will do it.

We got ours waxoiled by our dealer.

Ask them to spray double the normal and get into every nook and crannie.

Worth the small outlay to prevent future rust n rot.
mellyarnold

undersealing

Post by mellyarnold » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:37 am

cheers Dave
ive just pm'd u before seeing your reply too!! Manc Campers will do it for £100 quid but have not given him the go ahead as of yet because there are so many different opinions on the forum, is it just down to personal choice or is waxoil the inferior product? if i did choose waxoil would it be wise to have done before every winter as an extra safety measure? i dont think £100 per year is a bad investment to protect the freda or am i just being to cautious
andyfb78

Post by andyfb78 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:41 am

Chassis clean http://www.chassisclean.co.uk/
are in altrincham, cheshire. will only need doing once. see my earlier thread.
Well worth it.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:44 am

I suppose you could try a 'belts and braces 'approach by having cavities waxoyled and the undertray undersealed and topped off with a waxoyl wash over the underseal ( if you see what I mean)
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:07 am

Chassis clean looks amazing, but £500 is a lot of money.

Has anyone had it done?
Anyone got piccies?
Anyone got some money?

If you all give me 50p each, I will get it done and show you all the results. :wink:

All t best,

Big Dave
mellyarnold

undersealing

Post by mellyarnold » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:43 am

WOW chassis cleaning DOES look top!!! expensive though, have left a message for them give me a qoute will let you all know what a bongo/freda works out at (then ill probably cry!!)
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:54 am

These blokes are used to dealing with older cars which have been subjected to the Britich salt laden roads for years by the look of it and they would need a heck of a lot of cleaning I reckon you could expect them to come up with a quote of 200 -250 max on a fairly clean Bongo
andyfb78

Post by andyfb78 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:04 pm

they charged me £387.
It looks great, and smells like shoe polish.

They have now done several bongos, and my Mx5 too.

Richard is the chap in charge.. a good guy, and they have a (basic) courtesy car you can borrow.

Good luck.

I think it is worth the money and am glad that there are still people left who will really do a thorough job, and am happy to pay it.
£100 each year on waxoyl... or 387 once for a good 10 years...

Andy
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:34 pm

£387 - Where's me cheque book???

I wonder if they do it in red??????/?

Return to “Techie Stuff”