Difficulty getting at the banjo filter.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rosss
Bongonaut

Difficulty getting at the banjo filter.

Post by rosss » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Hello!
I know there are loads of threads on this I just can't quite seem to actually get the banjo filter out. I've got a couple of cotton buds taped on the end of a wooden skewer -
i push it down through the middle of the washers etc until it can't go any more - that's beyond the length of a cotton bud - pull it back up and nothing... how am i supposed to actually hook the filter, or know if there is actually one there? I don't want to use the wire hook yet... afraid of hurting the filter.
Is there a diagram of what's going on inside there at all?
Thanks!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0d79x0mrr9oo4 ... 3.png?dl=0
rosss
Bongonaut

Re: Difficulty getting at the banjo filter.

Post by rosss » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:04 pm

I've tried with a tiny little wire hook too now... can't seem to get a spring, a mesh or anything.. hmmm..
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:38 am

Hi
Get a length of blue plastic wall-plug (the cut-to-length type for holding screws into the wall)...it fits perfectly...wedge it in , and the filter pulls out...they are wire gauze. cotton buds are a waste of time
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Ross, depending on the year of your vehicle the gauze might not be fitted as std, you should be able to feel the rim of the gauze if one exists. You need to be very careful what you stick down the hole as you could end up with a bigger problem.

Good Luck.
rosss
Bongonaut

Post by rosss » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks folks!

I tried the variable length wall plug too... but in the end i gave up and in fact, hopefully the problem's been resolved by cleaning out the fuel filter... i should've probably tested that first before poking around in the banjo filter hole... thanks!

Return to “Techie Stuff”