'HOLD' Light Flashing

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Tweedy37
Apprentice Bongonaut

'HOLD' Light Flashing

Post by Tweedy37 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 pm

I know there have been various posts on this but I cannot see a response that seems to fit my circumstances.

I have a 2002 2.5TD Bongo. It drives lovely all through the gears and has no obvious/known engine issues.

A few weeks ago the hold light would flash after about 10 minutes as if when warm. This would not go off without turning off. Sometimes it wouldn't come back on. But then the same scenario would repeat on another journey. I checked the gear oil of which there was plenty but looked a bit dark. Into the garage it went to be told the gearbox sump pan was leaking. After some trouble sourcing another it went back into the garage to change, flush and replace oil and sump pan. Although this needed doing it hasn't solved the 'HOLD' light issue and its back flashing. Also it was felt that a diagnostic should be tried but the garage I used said their machine didn't have the correct socket to fit. I then sought some advice and purchased a converter to use. A different garage then said that although it fitted it did not return a diagnostic result. So back to square one.

Happy to try consider any remedies. Mechanic suggested considering it drives lovely etc not to worry but lack confidence in a long journey if i'm honest.

If anyone reading this has had this issue and resolved it I am happy to hear what it was. Thanks in advance.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: 'HOLD' Light Flashing

Post by teenmal » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:41 am

Before you start throwing money at the problem its always worth trying a reset on the ECU. Remove battery leads, turn ignition key to on ,press brake pedal for a couple of minutes . For a wee bit extra you could turn on light switches etc . As a matter of interest is your garage a MOT testing station.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:33 pm

teenmal wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:41 am Before you start throwing money at the problem its always worth trying a reset on the ECU. Remove battery leads, turn ignition key to on ,press brake pedal for a couple of minutes . For a wee bit extra you could turn on light switches etc . As a matter of interest is your garage a MOT testing station.
This fascinates me. Does the ECU/system have residual capacitance that needs draining?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:08 pm

There is very little reservoir capacity in the system at 12 volts, but it does no harm to ensure that any is discharged, but bear in mind it won't affect a leisure battery and any solar power sources ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”