Tyres losing pressure

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

brianjeff50
Apprentice Bongonaut

Tyres losing pressure

Post by brianjeff50 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:58 am

A couple of the tyres on our alloys keep slowly losing pressure. The local tyre depot said its rim corrosion and a common Mazda problem. They removed the tyres, cleaned the sh1t off from round the rims, smeared anti corrosion grease round and re-fitted.
Unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away. What's my next step? Can I get the wheels more extensively treated or are they knackered?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Tyres losing pressure

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:34 am

brianjeff50 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:58 am A couple of the tyres on our alloys keep slowly losing pressure. The local tyre depot said its rim corrosion and a common Mazda problem. They removed the tyres, cleaned the sh1t off from round the rims, smeared anti corrosion grease round and re-fitted.
Unfortunately the problem hasn't gone away. What's my next step? Can I get the wheels more extensively treated or are they knackered?
Not a Mazda problem but a wheel problem surely? Are they steel or alloy? My alloys were a bit like that until i had them restored and powder coated and new tyres at the same time. Surprisingly cost effective and the air loss problem vanished :-)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:05 am

Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Alloy wheels degrade and become porous and or corrode allowing air to escape the only way to resolve the issue is to have them refurbished or you could try a nitrogen fill as this apparently has bigger molecules which permeate more slowly?!

I had mine refurbed end of last year in anthracite, as the one's on my van were in a truly awful state yet the bodywork and chassis is absolutely mint, perhaps as the garage has indicated Mazda have a bad rep for alloy wheel finish and longevity.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:16 pm

teenmal wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:05 am Worth a try...…..

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p85154 ... e%20sealer
If your tyres are in good nick you could simply fit tubes.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Flanners wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:14 pm Alloy wheels degrade and become porous and or corrode allowing air to escape the only way to resolve the issue is to have them refurbished or you could try a nitrogen fill as this apparently has bigger molecules which permeate more slowly?!

I had mine refurbed end of last year in anthracite, as the one's on my van were in a truly awful state yet the bodywork and chassis is absolutely mint, perhaps as the garage has indicated Mazda have a bad rep for alloy wheel finish and longevity.
Out of interest which wheels are Mazda alloys? Is it those 15" 5 spoke ones? There seem to be a lot of different types fitted (mine are jap fitted aftermarket Precious diamond cut 17" alloys, and they also got a bit leaky with age, now cured it seems by refurb and powder coating). I'm wondering if maybe the tyre fitters are making it up as they go along? :roll:
brianjeff50
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by brianjeff50 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:58 pm

Yes they are the Mazda ones - pretty messy inside when he stripped the tyres off. Sounds like a refurb is in order - unless I just revert to steels.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:43 am

mikeonb4c wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:10 pm
Flanners wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:14 pm Alloy wheels degrade and become porous and or corrode allowing air to escape the only way to resolve the issue is to have them refurbished or you could try a nitrogen fill as this apparently has bigger molecules which permeate more slowly?!

Out of interest which wheels are Mazda alloys? Is it those 15" 5 spoke ones? There seem to be a lot of different types fitted (mine are jap fitted aftermarket Precious diamond cut 17" alloys, and they also got a bit leaky with age, now cured it seems by refurb and powder coating). I'm wondering if maybe the tyre fitters are making it up as they go along? :roll:
My van is the Aero and has the wheels like this pic: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bongo ... kP0e2mD2RM:
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:05 am

Link seems to be showing lots of pics but think i know the ones you mean. I reckon a refurb/recoat might be on the cards. Wonder what singles out Mazda alloys as poor :roll:
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi,
Not uncommon problem with all brands of motors with all brands of alloys. Had this pronblem with many alloy wheeles over the years as they've got older & corrossion has set in. Whenever I have my tyres changed I ask for them to ensure that the rims are cleaned well & that the more heavy heavy duty rim sealant used when the new tyres are fitted. I have used the same tyre depot Dexell Tyres for longer than I can remember & have built up a good relationship with the staff. when I first had the issue of air loss due to leaky rims. I noticed that when I went back to the van the rims had a thicker pink residue arount the tyre bead. When I pointed out that it looked different to the usual stuff you see left around the tyre. I was told that it was a product they use to help seal rims if they know there is likely to be problematic. So I always ask if they would kindly use that when I have tyres fitted. It has reduced the problem for me , but ultimatly its a refurb that is usually the fix all.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:14 pm

windywatson wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:53 pm Hi,
Not uncommon problem with all brands of motors with all brands of alloys. Had this pronblem with many alloy wheeles over the years as they've got older & corrossion has set in. Whenever I have my tyres changed I ask for them to ensure that the rims are cleaned well & that the more heavy heavy duty rim sealant used when the new tyres are fitted. I have used the same tyre depot Dexell Tyres for longer than I can remember & have built up a good relationship with the staff. when I first had the issue of air loss due to leaky rims. I noticed that when I went back to the van the rims had a thicker pink residue arount the tyre bead. When I pointed out that it looked different to the usual stuff you see left around the tyre. I was told that it was a product they use to help seal rims if they know there is likely to be problematic. So I always ask if they would kindly use that when I have tyres fitted. It has reduced the problem for me , but ultimatly its a refurb that is usually the fix all.

Cheers
Great summary WW and fits completely with my experience.

Return to “Techie Stuff”