Problem checking oil on JAL conversion

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

brianjeff50
Apprentice Bongonaut

Problem checking oil on JAL conversion

Post by brianjeff50 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 am

Our recently bought JAL Superwide has a kind of jump seat behind the front passenger's fabricated from steel box section. Problem I have is that this is held in place by six bolts to floor and engine cover so access to the engine is virtually impossible - the passenger seat barely tips.
Does anyone know of this fitment? Is there an easy way around the problem or do I have to heft the whole thing out just to check the oil?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Problem checking oil on JAL conversion

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:32 am

brianjeff50 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 am Our recently bought JAL Superwide has a kind of jump seat behind the front passenger's fabricated from steel box section. Problem I have is that this is held in place by six bolts to floor and engine cover so access to the engine is virtually impossible - the passenger seat barely tips.
Does anyone know of this fitment? Is there an easy way around the problem or do I have to heft the whole thing out just to check the oil?
I'd give Phil at JAL a call as he must have the best answer? Sounds tedious though!
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:11 am

brianjeff50 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 am Our recently bought JAL Superwide has a kind of jump seat behind the front passenger's fabricated from steel box section. Problem I have is that this is held in place by six bolts to floor and engine cover so access to the engine is virtually impossible - the passenger seat barely tips.

Take it back to Mr JAL and tell them to modify it as its not practical, and could be a big hindrance in an Emergency.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:54 am

^^^
Indeed. if true how practical is that? Guess some form of QR system attachments need to be installed to allow easy periodic checks and easy home maintenance.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi,
I know that this answer does mean a little bit of work. However it isn't to time consuming once you get used to the location of the bolts. Take out the seats in order to tip up the engine covers.
I used to have a similar problem with lifting the drivers side seat on my camper with full side conversion. The end of the side conversion was vertually up against the back of the drivers seat. Meaning that there was little room to get the seat tipped back. Using the seats back adjustment pull the seat back as foward as possible & slide the seat foward as far as possible. This gives access to the 2 bolts securing the seat to the floor. Also remove the bolt on the side of the engine tunnel that holds the rail supporting the seat belt buckle. Now push seat as back as far as possible & remove the 2 front bolts now visable just below the front of the bottom cushion. Now lift the seat out carefully as there is a plug to disconect under the seat that is for the sensor that knows the seat is occupied in order to light the seat bely warning light system. This should now at least get the cover lifted to the vertical, giving you the room needed.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:26 pm

I don't know if it is normal or not, but I had to take my driver's seat out to do some work, when I came to put it back in, I couldn't line the holes up. It seems that when the bolts come out the frame springs open a bit making it impossible to put back in. I ended up having to use a sash clamp to pull the frame back together whilst bolting it back in. I checked the frame for any damage or broken welds but it is perfect. Just a warning in case you do take the seats out!
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:20 pm

Never had that problem, always aligned up for me. Suspect that your seat has had some stress somewhere that has sprung the metal work.
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top

Return to “Techie Stuff”