Anyone painted their propshaft ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Anyone painted their propshaft ?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:23 am

At least I think that is what the long metal bit that comes off the back of the gear box going to the axle.
I wish I had a pit or a hydraulic Bongo lifter. Anyway I saw the prop has some surface rust and was thinking of gaffering
some sandpaper on a stick (advanced engineering techniques here) and rubbing it down as best as I can and then just
spraying it, moving it forward a bit and then spraying again to cover it all.

Is this pointless are they solid metal is it pointless spraying it if it is solid metal ?

I cannot get the Bongo off the ground so that it always going to be a bit awkward. I did manage
the axle 3 years ago as there is plenty of space under there.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Anyone painted their propshaft ?

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:09 pm

I drive mine onto suitably rated ramps to get underneath it. Propshaft is v thick metal so doubt it cares much whether it is painted. Painting is a mixed blessing also as where it cracks or flaked, accelerated / incubated corrosion can get going underneath it. From my experience, time is better spent probing the thinner yet crucial metal elements in the structure. For example, mine corroded through at the cill fronts behind the front arch plastic wheel arch liners. Not somewhere you'd expect and hidden from view. Expect a welding bill if so. Etc. I can't stress enough how vigilant (and not in denial) you have to be when looking for rust on an old Bongo. And welders don't like lots of waxoyl etc. around where they're going to work and especially where they cant see it like inside cills etc (fire risk) so you have to get welding done first.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:20 pm

I use ACF 50 on some underbody and engine bay components, sprayed my shocks and prop shaft etc with it last week when I was underneath topping up the underseal on the sills. Stops further corrosion and 'seals' the surface from water etc for a good period of time, used on aircraft to inhibit corrosion apparently.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:25 pm

"When applied ACF-50 forms an 'Active' ultra-thin clear film that will kill any existing corrosion cells and will protect your bike against new corrosion forming. On areas such as switches or under the tank and seat, one application will last up to 12 months. Other more exposed areas will need topping up more regularly. ACF-50 has the ability to 'chemically neutralise road salt' and water will bead on contact and literally bounce off. Ideal for the bike that is used all year round in all weathers, a superb service spray as ACF-50 is also a lubricant and penetrant (without loosening structural attachments) and if you put your bike away for the winter, applying ACF-50 will ensure that moisture will not be allowed to cause any damage! Untreated moisture will creep into cracks and will not freely evaporate - ACF-50 actively ejects moisture from these areas."

Absolutely superb stuff that I have used for years on my cars and motorbikes. Try it! :D
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:56 pm

Yes i'd meant to mention ACF-50. What made me hesitate was that on something like an exposed and spinning propshaft i'm not sure how long it'd be before you have to reapply it :roll: I use it inside my engine bay etc though where i see surface rust on metal parts. Worth spraying inside rear wings etc also if it doesnt make the interior too whiffy.

Return to “Techie Stuff”