After a hill climb in Italy the engine kept running although switched off and the keys removed! Why?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Andy abroad
Apprentice Bongonaut

After a hill climb in Italy the engine kept running although switched off and the keys removed! Why?

Post by Andy abroad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:05 am

Our 97 2.5 diesel has carried us happily down the west coast of France then along the med and down to Umbria but after a long drive through mountains the engine wouldn’t stop even when switched off! I fiddled about for a bit and then it stopped. Then the glow plu relay madly for a minute or two and stopped. A little while later all returned to normal. What happened?
Andy abroad.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: After a hill climb in Italy the engine kept running although switched off and the keys removed! Why?

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:29 am

The engine is stopped by a solenoid that shuts off the fuel line, normally this is the cause of the problem, the rubber washer disintegrates and allows fuel past so the engine keeps running.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Andy abroad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: After a hill climb in Italy the engine kept running although switched off and the keys removed! Why?

Post by Andy abroad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:34 am

What about the glow plug relay noise?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Has it got a turbo timer fitted . Sounds like the bongo is looking after itself.
Andy abroad
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Andy abroad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 pm

I have looked for a turbo timer but today on a short run after one puff of black smoke it went fine! If it’s not fitted by the knee where might it be? At any rate all seems well although the manic clicking of the glow plug relay is still a mystery to me!
Andy abroad
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:12 am

The relationship between the glow plug warning light on the dash and the operation of the actual glow plugs/relay are not connected, not even in the same circuit....the glow plugs will cycle on/off/on/off many times depending on temperature and revs, they can switch on/off/on/off for many minutes until the required temp is reached....this has a lot to do with the shortened glow plug life. I fitted a switch in the relay supply so I could override. If anyone does this mod you have to remember to switch on again before restarting.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Techie Stuff”