Bongo too slow

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rosss
Bongonaut

Bongo too slow

Post by rosss » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 am

Hello folks,

My bongo seems to have picked up an intermittent speed problem. On a couple of drives lately it's really struggled to get above 65 ... I put my foot right down to the floor on the accelerator and the revs won't go above 2500... it feels very sluggish and unresponsive compared to normal.
I'm inclined to think it's something to do with the Turbo... Anybody know anything i can do to narrow it down?

Thanks!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo too slow

Post by g8dhe » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:01 pm

Its not unknown for the intake hose to come loose I believe ..... look under the seats and it might be obvious.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
rosss
Bongonaut

Post by rosss » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks...
So I've had a good look under both seats and there don't seem to be any obvious lose air hoses. Definitely not the big ones and not the little one that connects from the air intake to the top of the fuel pump and was the issue in another similar thread...
I ran the bongo in park and checked around with my hand couldn't feel any air around the engine under seats bit escaping...
But on the exhaust pipe there is a pretty big leak - about halfway down the bongo - can feel the air coming out heavily without even revving ... with rev there's loads escaping... could this be it? Gonna try and tighten up the nuts on this pipe joint.
Where exactly is the Turbo Turbine on the exhaust pipe?
And what is that thing that i've pointed to with a blue arrow?
Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mjki8uhsd5p4z ... y.jpg?dl=0
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Ah looks like you have one of the Northern Japan models with the cold start modifications, that valve in the exhaust closes OFF the exhaust to assist in rapid warming of the engine in a -40°C climate! They are known to rust up and seize in the closed position in the UK because they are so exposed to the road salt, they are normally disconnected by removing the vacuum pipe to them so they don't operate, it might be this which is the cause of your problems ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
rosss
Bongonaut

Post by rosss » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Ah interesting... good to know... does the fact that the exhaust is getting past that valve though mean that that can't be the problem? There's plenty of exhaust still blowing out the back.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:45 pm

The first thing I would do ( if the valve ok) is clean /replace all the filters .
rosss
Bongonaut

Post by rosss » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks... the Fuel Filter seems to have done the trick!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Bingo. =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”