Fan motor autopsy

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bonneville
Bongolier

Fan motor autopsy

Post by Bonneville » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:46 pm

I had a failed fan motor so canned it open for a looksee:

One of the end plates has lost it's plastic guide (upper in picture) and gone to ground but nothing untoward there, just one of those things. What I find interesting is how little is left on the brushes. Bongo has 116K miles on it and the top one has only a couple of mm left.

Moral is to check both fans every now and again if you are up around this mileage.
Bonneville
Bongolier

Re: Fan motor autopsy

Post by Bonneville » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Would be interested in seeing that. Are you blogging it or on a forum somewhere?

These are old now so I expect that side of it to increase; shortly before the Japanese start re-importing them like the Z1.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Bonneville wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:19 pm Would be interested in seeing that. Are you blogging it or on a forum somewhere?

These are old now so I expect that side of it to increase; shortly before the Japanese start re-importing them like the Z1.
2nd that. Would love to follow the rebuild. I'm too old and unskilled to attempt something like that but really do believe a '96 Bongo is a very practical classic that will reward the effort of restoration. Had my '95 split seat Bongo 12 years and do what i can to maintain it and/or get it sorted because, frankly, i can't think of one other car that offers what it offers and is as much fun both on the open road and in the open field (and certainly not for the £3700 i paid for it all those years ago). A brilliant car, for all its rust issues etc (but at 23 years old is that a surprise?)
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:58 am

Yes, I find the restoration walkthroughs as enlightening as the tech section on most forums. You get to see the products people use and to look at the standard of work from suppliers.
Practical classic it certainly could be (as long as we can still get hold of the parts).
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:26 am

Bonneville wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:58 am Practical classic it certainly could be (as long as we can still get hold of the parts).
Yes thats the big one. But with so many in UK, plenty being scrapped, and the arrival of Bongo Spares (please support them everyone!), there are perhaps grounds for cautious optimism. [-o<

Return to “Techie Stuff”