Help with getting fuel to the injectors

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Yeppy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Help with getting fuel to the injectors

Post by Yeppy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi all,

I've put my bongo back together after replacing the head. I'm struggling to get fuel to the injectors. I've slakened the furthest on the right cap on injector, to see if I get fuel coming out when cranking.

1. I've changd the fuel filter, filled it with diesel, tightened it all and sucked diesel out of the fuel tank pipe to make sure it gets to filter.

2. I can pull diesel up to the fuel pump banjo nut by sucking on the pipe. I've cleaned the banjo strainer (wasn't particularly dirty)

3. There's no manual pump on mine to prime, so I hoping the self primer is working.

4. I've checked fuel cut solenoid fuse under the bonnet. I've placed my finger on the solenoid valve when I switch the engine on, I don't feel or hear it move.

I guess I could try and remove the solenoid valve to inspect it (all was working fine prior to dismantling the engine)

Is there anything I'm missing?

Much appreciated
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Help with getting fuel to the injectors

Post by g8dhe » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:47 pm

You could check that there is 12 volts getting to the solenoid connection, if not then something back towards the fuse;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Yeppy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Yeppy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply. I get 12v to the solenoid, after removing the rubber I can feel it move when I put the ignition on.

Topped it up with 2more gallons of diesel and cranked and cranked it, just not a drop is coming out of the injector pipes.

Battery back on charge (new battery too)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Are you sure that the pump is actually turning? It might have a sheared key / gear,and You are always better removing the valve, because you feel it move doesn't mean that its function is ok, it may have dropped the seal onto the seat, and while you are there top up the pump with fuel. Also slacken the injector pipe at the pump end first.

PS a long shot , this is a tip from Doone There is another filter in the back of the diesel pump. But you have to strip the pump to access it.
Yeppy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Yeppy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:27 am

Hi all, thank you for your comments. I believe it was the soleniod seal that had dropped, as teenmal said. Removed soleniod, cranked engine over and could see fuel getting through.

Chucked positive and neg connectors to soleniod to see it work. Put it all together and she goes! Great feeling changing the head :D
frinkemon
Junior Bongonaut

Post by frinkemon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:35 pm

I have the exact same issue, new head all on, everything plumbed in and no fuel.

Where is this solenoid you speak of?

Thanks!
frinkemon
Junior Bongonaut

Post by frinkemon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Ahh OK I found the issue, when I was re-assembling the engine I found the little solenoid thing was connected with a dodgy taped up wire, with a little bit sticking out. Looks like it shorted to ground and blew the fuse.

Replaced fuse, turned the engine over and saw the fuel being drawn up (I installed a little clear plastic thing so I can see the fuel) and then the battery died.. Grrrr
Callum christie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Callum christie » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:15 pm

Hi all . I went to start my diesel automatic Mazda bongo today . It turned over but wouldn’t start I traced the fuel it is getting to the banjo but still not starting after I clean the banjo fully then I
Undone the injectors to see if fuel was getting up to no avail is there another filter that could be blocked between the fuel pump and the injectors any help would be greatly appreciated if someone can help can’t u get back ASAP
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:54 pm

Worth checking glow plugs?
Callum christie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Callum christie » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:45 pm

Thanks I’ll do that tomorrow I changed them last 4 years ago do ya say that’s the problem
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:21 am

Can't say for certain, but worth checking. :)
Callum christie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Callum christie » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:35 pm

Would u know I’ve started doing the glow plugs do u know by any chance how to self test the glow plugs cause I don’t have the device that u test them with
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:52 pm

N. Dnt. :(
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:15 am

Good tip from Doone on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36928&start=15
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:40 pm

If you are not getting fuel at the injectors ,that has nothing to do with the heater/glow plugs. You need to get fuel to the injectors(obviously) .a VAC and PRESSURE test on the pump would not do any harm.

Return to “Techie Stuff”