Load bearing on tintop roof.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

knpenny
Bongolier

Load bearing on tintop roof.

Post by knpenny » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Hi all, hope your well.
Just a quick one, with a roof rack and box, does anyone know what the max recommended weight would be.
Reason for asking is that I'm about to buy a hard shell roof tent and its quite expensive. Don't want to buy it then not be able to use it.
I have used a roof box with about 150kgs in and it was fine but would really appreciate any feedback.
Thanks in advance.
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Load bearing on tintop roof.

Post by sotal » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:51 am

No idea on the tin top, I've seen figures for the AFT version before and it wasn't very high but that mounts directly to the fibre glass roof. Yours will mount to the gutter I presume which may well be able to take more weight.

However I was going to say I've of our members has the setup you describe. He was at the bongo summer camp with it. He has a tin top with a hardshell tent which you access via a ladder. I don't know his username on here but he runs the Facebook Midlands bongo group of that helps.
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:33 pm

cheers, that does help but was he alone or did he have a partner. Not trying to pry into peoples private lives, just there will be two sleeping inside with a total weight around 160kgs added to 50-60kgs for the tentbox. 220kgs max i reckon.
Thanks for the info, its really appreciated =D>
Dingo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Dingo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:57 pm

Hey up how's it going.
I have a iKamper Sky4X fitted on my Tintop. (Hard shell roof tent) I'm not exactly sure what the max roof loading for gutter mounted racks. But in the name of Bongo research I've had my Skycamp on the van for about a year now. I've slept in it with my wife and daughter, approx 250 kg (I cannot divulge the breakdown of that weight😀) plus tent/rack weight 90kg and have not noticed any issues.
I've fitted the tent on 4 of New Dawn Conversions roof bars, fixed to 2 and the other two just for support. All good so far. If you join the iKamper FB page they may be able to help. Also have look at photos on Midlands Bongo Owners. It is a really good solution for a Tintop. Please feel free to ask anymore questions.
Regards Dingo
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:54 am

Looks very nice, for the price given on their website it matches the cost of having an aftermarket pop top supplied and fitted, why did you choose the roof tent over the pop top?
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Dingo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Dingo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:27 am

I was looking at pop top conversion but saw the iKamper at the Camping and Caravan show and was impressed with the amount of space for sleeping. It really is bigger than a king size bed and frees up loads of space downstairs in the lounge/ diner. 😎
Another thing that swayed me to purchasing the roof tent was the fact that if anything did happen to my beloved Bongo I could just take the roof tent off and fit to another vehicle.
I can also take the tent off in the winter months to cut down on weight and increase mpg slightly.
Finally although I love being part of a club I think we all like to customise our vans to certain degree and the roof tent is a bit different.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:48 am

Great thinking Dingo. I've sometimes wondered if a suitable design could allow access via the open sunroof. Now that could be cool :-)
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:07 pm

knpenny wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:16 pm Hi all, hope your well.
Just a quick one, with a roof rack and box, does anyone know what the max recommended weight would be.
Reason for asking is that I'm about to buy a hard shell roof tent and its quite expensive. Don't want to buy it then not be able to use it.
I have used a roof box with about 150kgs in and it was fine but would really appreciate any feedback.
Thanks in advance.
Be interested to know what roof tents you have condsidered and what one you are going for? I am on the verge of going for a pop top as want to fit under height restrictions, but mindful of a more cost effective option although making the vehicle taller would be removable in any case as and when.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi sorry i havent responded in a while. The type of roof tent is a fiberglass shell one, bit like an actual roof box. There are other lighter ones available but i like the ease of the fibreglass ones. :wink:
knpenny
Bongolier

Post by knpenny » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Thats great info dingo, thanks very much. =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”