Engine part needed - please help identify the pipe

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongo&4kids
Bongonaut

Engine part needed - please help identify the pipe

Post by bongo&4kids » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:46 am

Hi guys,

I took my 95 Diesel Bongo into the garage yesterday after experiencing cold start problems.

The garage identified that there is a crack in one of the metal pipes leading from the EGR valve to the manifold.
By doing a smoke test gases were seen to be leaking significantly from the cracked pipe just around the flange. This could be causing some of the problems on cold start.

Welding is probably not possible, it looks like a replacement part is needed.

The pipe is a long metal pipe is found under the drivers side, it has a bend in it after the flange, and then runs parallel along the manifold, before disappearing behind and then connecting to the EGR valve. The mechanic called it the 'EGR to manifold inlet' pipe.

Can anyone help identify what this pipe is, and where it can be sourced as a replacement part?
I will try to add a photo.

Thanks!

I replaced the glow plugs last year, and the starter battery is new, so I hoping that fixing this issue will solve the cold start problems.
Last edited by bongo&4kids on Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bongo&4kids
Bongonaut

Re: Engine part needed - please help identify the pipe

Post by bongo&4kids » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:51 am

I tried uploading a photo, but the file was too large - does anyone know how to add a photo here?

Thanks.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Its the EGR pipe.
Just blank it off. The kits are available from the Bongo shop I think.
Do a search under EGR removal on this site to find instruction.
bongo&4kids
Bongonaut

Post by bongo&4kids » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:51 pm

I think it would fail the MOT now, under the new rules, if I blanked off the EGR ??
(new MOT rules from May 2018)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:11 pm

bongo&4kids wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:51 pm I think it would fail the MOT now, under the new rules, if I blanked off the EGR ??
You are correct. We've stopped selling them. And so has Allans. MOT failure if "detectable" changes are made to emissions system.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
bongo&4kids
Bongonaut

Post by bongo&4kids » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks guys - I have now found the correct part (used one) online.

Problem solved for now.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:59 am

Ian wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:11 pm
bongo&4kids wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:51 pm I think it would fail the MOT now, under the new rules, if I blanked off the EGR ??
You are correct. We've stopped selling them. And so has Allans. MOT failure if "detectable" changes are made to emissions system.
Whats the chapter and verse on that one Ian?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:01 pm

This is from the members fact sheet about MOT which was issued following some research earlier this year:

What if I Have an EGR Blanking Plate Fitted to my Bongo?

We have received conflicting advice on this. Bongos have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system and some owners of diesel Bongos have had the system blanked off to improve performance. There is a separate EGR fact sheet about this. Blanking off the EGR may well affect Nitrous Oxide emissions from the engine. Our local garage here in Sheffield says that the act of blanking off the EGR is not in itself an automatic failure, but if it leads to higher emissions then the vehicle may fail.

However, respected Bongo mechanic Allan Bugg says that a close reading of the new regulations can lead to the conclusion that if DPFs can not be tampered with, then neither can EGR systems. The exact wording from the Government Guidance is:

"It is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3))1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use.

A vehicle might still pass the MoT visible smoke emissions test, which is primarily intended to identify vehicles that are in a very poor state of repair, whilst emitting illegal and harmful levels of fine exhaust particulate."

It also says that there should be a visual inspection of any emission control equipment and if any is missing, obviously modified, or obviously defective the vehicle should be classified as having a major defect.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:05 pm

A vehicle cannot be failed unless it meets the criteria in the Reason for Rejection column. I can find nothing there that covers this.
Construction and use regs are not the same as MOT is criteria.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Bongolia wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:05 pm A vehicle cannot be failed unless it meets the criteria in the Reason for Rejection column. I can find nothing there that covers this.
Construction and use regs are not the same as MOT is criteria. =D> =D> =D>
Looks like some people are getting a wee bit mixed up between DPF and ERG , or adding them together .
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:40 pm

An MOT tester would have no idea the EGR valve is blanked off unless they have X-ray vision.
A diesel Bongo should easily pass an MOT smoke test with the EGR blanked off, If it aint passing the smoke/emissions test you have another problem elsewhere.
Yes, technically the EGR system should not be bypassed.
I always blank of the EGR system (if possible) on any diesel engine I have straight away before it causes any problems. If you see what EGR systems do to the air inlet track on a diesel you would always do it too.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT

Return to “Techie Stuff”