Fully draining coolant

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Brimfulof
Apprentice Bongonaut

Fully draining coolant

Post by Brimfulof » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 pm

I'm trying to get all the coolant out of the Bongo (1996 2.5l Turbo Diesel) so that I can replace with fresh coolant. Also hoping to deal with an issue that has arisen since I got it back from a mechanic. He noticed that the bleed pipe was worn so shortened it slightly to get rid of the worn bit. He pointed out to me that the temperature gauge would occasionally get almost to the H and then come back down again. I suspect he had introduced a bit of air into the system. He's a mechanic in Malawi, so doesn't see many Bongo Friendees, but did recognise straight away that it was the same engine as a Ford Ranger.

Anyway, seemed like changing coolant and then bleeding was a good idea.

I'm keen to get all the coolant out of the system and flush it fully before refilling and bleeding. I've followed the method from the maintenance manual (as in the factsheet on here):
  • Open top of radiator.
    Open bleed pipe bung.
    Open reservoir tank cap.
    Loosened the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator.
    Ran that until it was dry, then pumped water through it with a hose.
    Taken off the under cover.
    Didn't manage to get the plug on the upper pipe off, so just disconnected the whole pipe and drained that.
    Then for good measure disconnected the lower pipe to the radiator and drained that.
    Connected everything back up.
    Filled the system with water and radiator flush.
    Ran until bottom pipe got hot.
    Drained again.
    Still dirty, so intend to do again.
When I refilled though it only took about 8l of water. So, presumably there's another 5/6l in the system. How do I get this out? I want to make sure all the old stuff is removed as I'm not sure that the coolant I have is the same and don't want to create any issues. Are there other places I should be disconnecting?

I've searched through this forum and the instructions for bleeding are very thorough, but I can't find anything as idiot-proof for flushing. And I may well be doing something idiotic and missing something simple, so if you think you can help, please don't spare the details, I'm pretty new to all this, but very happy to get my hands dirty if I have good instructions.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Fully draining coolant

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:56 pm

You prob won't get it all out, most I have got out is approx 10 lts . Drop the pipes off the rear heater, but be careful the pipes fit onto plastic heater Stubbs and can crack.
The engine is mounted slightly tipped backwards so you cannot really empty that out.
Remove the lowest pipes all round then flush with a hose pipe till everything runs clear, then guess you have around 3-4 lts or water still around the system and make your new mix to allow for this clean water.
Brimfulof
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Brimfulof » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:11 pm

Thanks. That's pretty much where I'm at. I've also taken the thermostat out to test. Seems to be opening late, but then my thermometer also seema to suggests that the water in the pan gets up to 104°C so may not be well calibrated! Decided to replace it if I can find one here. No luck so far. Might have to order from the UK.
Cutrog1
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cutrog1 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:56 am

Hi....where is the bleed pipe?

What/where are "bungs"?

Regards
Roger.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:48 am

The bleed pipe is underneath the passenger seat, runs from the front or left towards the right and is curled back on itself with a bung in the end probably best to view the Youtube video's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRAKOSxgbKo
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:24 am

Bung: A kind of stopper, a bribe, to place something carelessly - bung your coat there, a flippant comment - I'll bung that in the conversation.

I'll get me coat. :wink:
Cutrog1
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cutrog1 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:01 am

Brilliant. I thought that was it....

Regards

Return to “Techie Stuff”