Fuel filter change - won't start - read all forum advice.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Fuel filter change - won't start - read all forum advice.

Post by root-n-5th » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:17 pm

Hello,

I've had a Bongo for about a week and have just done an oil change, oil filter and air filter change. All was well, until I changed the fuel filter this morning following the excellent advice on the member's area.

All was good until I started it up, it ran smoothly for a few seconds then died. After much cranking of the starter (20 second bursts), nothing.

I checked the fuel banjo thing, and it had a hole in the bottom, which isn't great, but it wasn't blocked. (I will replace shortly).

The battery died so I have run it off the other car but still nothing. I took the new fuel filter off and it only had a small amount of diesel in the bottom of it - the old one was brimming. I have tried pressing the primer pump many, many times, but nothing is happening.

Could it be an air-lock? Could the damaged banjo filter be causing a problem? How marginal is the spring pressure on the banjo?

I've heard of the fuel cut-off solenoid, but I can't see to find it.

It was running fine before, if a little lumpy, and I don't know when the filters were last changed, hence doing the jobs.

Any help appreciated as we're meant to be using it overnight on Tuesday!

Many thanks,
Sam.
WestyK
Bongolier

Re: Fuel filter change - won't start - read all forum advice.

Post by WestyK » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi.

I had exactly the same problem and remembered reading on here that sometimes the pump isn't powerful to pull air and fuel back up to fill the filter.
I had heard of people fitting a manual bulb style hand pump in the line like you get on some fuel siphon pipes.

I was lucky as I have a oil extraction pump similar to this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003G2YV1I/ ... th=1&psc=1
I disconnected the fuel pipe where it connected to the pump and used the oil extractor to pull fuel through therefore filing up the filter and pipes. reconected and all ok.

You could probably use something like this in the same way.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/laser-3 ... sfer-tool/

Cheers
Ian
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks for the idea. I think it sounds very likely. Could that bulb be kept in the fuel line permanently?
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Have you tried filling the filter with fuel before fitting? I had a previous car where it would air lock. Usually filling the fuel filter with fuel got it going if it failed on the first fill a second fill would always work.
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 pm

I took some advice and filled the filter with diesel, still no luck. I haven't tried a second fill but pumped the primer button for a minute, can hear fuel in the fuel pump area but still doesn't fire.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:47 pm

Have you checked the seal on the filter is not distorted and the old seal has not stuck to the filter body., is it a Fram filter?
Make sure that you have plenty diesel in the tank.
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:56 pm

It's a filter from Mazdabongo.com. Came with a new rubber seal I fitted. No leaks.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:32 am

It wont leak if its not filling with fuel, its the fact that it might be drawing air that could be the problem.

I would make sure there is plenty of Diesel in the tank, if so I would remove filter and check seal and body mating face, if ok Fill the filter with fuel.

Also make sure that the hand primer is back in the locked position.
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:16 am

Daft question - how do you know primer is in locked position? Could this stop it drawing fuel?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:20 am

There have been stories of Bongos left parked uphill for a period, after which they refuse to start. The suggestion has been that doing this has exposed a failing seal problem on the fuel pump: ingress of air has allowed fuel to drain back to the tank and the leak then prevents the pump from pulling diesel back up the line. Inverting that logic: just maybe, as a long shot, you could try putting the back wheels on ramps before attempting to prime the pump either with the onboard pump primer (these are rare as most Bongos i've read about have self priming pumps) or by some other means. If that trick does work it still leaves the underlying problem of worn pump seals to be addressed. Out of interest, has the pump been dripping any diesel prior to the filter change?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:38 pm

root-n-5th wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:16 am Daft question - how do you know primer is in locked position? Could this stop it drawing fuel?
Some are "push down and turn clockwise or anti" , others are in the up position, and some of the filter bodied have an air vent plug.
root-n-5th
Bongonaut

Post by root-n-5th » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks all - it is running again! Quite a relief, and I used a cheap syphoning pump from Halfords, after running around all over the pace to find one. It sucked the fuel up to the pipe that goes into the banjo and it started.

However, I think there is a leak from the banjo area. I have ordered a new fuel filter thingy for the banjo but I think I might need the complete assembly. Anyone know where I can get one of these?

thanks,
Sam
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:05 am

root-n-5th wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:02 pm Thanks all - it is running again! Quite a relief, and I used a cheap syphoning pump from Halfords, after running around all over the pace to find one. It sucked the fuel up to the pipe that goes into the banjo and it started.

However, I think there is a leak from the banjo area. I have ordered a new fuel filter thingy for the banjo but I think I might need the complete assembly. Anyone know where I can get one of these?

thanks,
Sam
Excellent news. Does sound like a leak somewhere could have been compromising the ability of the pump to suck fuel from the tank so maybe avoid parking facing uphill for long periods....just in case!

Return to “Techie Stuff”