Coolant pipe size

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bez
Apprentice Bongonaut

Coolant pipe size

Post by Bez » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi all,

new members here. My name is Henry and I live in Bournemouth and I'm very happy to finally be back on the car scene, with a 00' 2.5d Freda!

I used to modify MR2s, but after about 4 years from selling my last one, I'm glad to be tinkering again with some Japanese muscle.

Just a few quick questions, I'm looking to install a coolant temp. gauge, I have it all wired up, I just need to install the sensor. What size pipes should I be getting a housing for?

Many thanks!

Henry
Bonneville
Bongolier

Re: Coolant pipe size

Post by Bonneville » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Main steel pipes are 35mm. Lots of folk have a TM2 with the sensor lead bolted to the back of the head. Not as nice as measuring the coolant temp but will let you compare numbers with those that have it this way.
Bez
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bez » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks for your reply.

So there are no rubber pipes I can put a sensor holder in to?

Cheers
Henry
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Yes. The main pipes run to and from the radiator. These have rubber pipes on each end so the ID of those would be 35mm, same as the OD of the steel.
There's also smaller ones to and from the sides, I'll measure when I get the seat up again unless someone beats me to it.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 pm

Yes you can use the top radiator hose, it has a fairly straight run where you can fit the adapter. You could also use the original sender position on the top of the head. You are quite right the sensor should be in the coolant .

Return to “Techie Stuff”