Air conditining,climate control,heater?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

greenman
Bongonaut

Air conditining,climate control,heater?

Post by greenman » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:12 pm

I really feel silly asking this question!

:oops:

I bought my nice shiney silver Bongo on 20th Otober and
have been playing with all the switches since! (Arent there
a lot and what fun?!)
On the journey back from Poole, I had the air conditioning
on and it was fine (hard to believe how warm it still was!)
I have studied the little handbook that I bought, but cannot
figure out how to get any heat blowing in the cab.
Now, is it simply a matter of raising the aircon temprature
until the air warms up?
Or is there a switch that i have missed?
I dont quite need heat yet (especially with the engine for
company!) but would appreciate some help for when I do!

Mike
pippin

Post by pippin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:18 pm

Do you have the simple aircon or the complex clima with digital temp display?
greenman
Bongonaut

Post by greenman » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:35 pm

I have aircon front and rear.
The temperature is in a digital disply, yes.

Mike
pippin

Post by pippin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:36 pm

Hmm, I have the simple kind, but there are really detailed instructions on the operation of both types in the Owners Manual which is available from the Owners' Club.
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:38 pm

So have I but I thought the idea of climate control was to move the slider to the required temperature and then let the aircon and heater fight it out to provide the necessary temperature?
Griffin
Bongolier

Post by Griffin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:50 pm

Up until last week I have been merrily using the Aircon (digital one with the display) but recently there was a cold snap and I couldn't get the heater to warm me up. I searched on here and got all paniced by a post sayingt hat if you had no coolant then the heater wouldn't work. Immediately checked the coolant and it's OK so stopped panicing but stayed cold. When out with the family at the weekend it got chilly again, pressed the climate control up from about 22 (which is usually where |I have it) to 24 - nothing. Then the good lady wife just kept turning it up, at 28 it started getting warmer until it max'd out at (I think) 32. By then it was getting really warm and seems to be OK.
I know it sounds stupid but I think it's all OK and I just hadn't switched it on far enough, my SEAT would explode if set to more than about 26, the Bongo seems to be calibrated diferently.
If you haven't already, give it a try.
P.S. It still isn't fantastic - don't get too excited :-)
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:56 pm

Griffin quoted...my SEAT would explode......definitely not recommended if you have piles.....better to be cold.... :lol: ....Alan.... :wink:
Alan...still plodding on....!
pippin

Post by pippin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:10 pm

I thought you were driving a BONGO, not a SEAT (as in Spanish cars)!!!!
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:16 pm

I do have a Bongo and it has got 8 SEATS in it..........OH I see now.......SEAT = spanish car....mmmmmm....ok I give in... :wink: .....Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
greenman
Bongonaut

Post by greenman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:17 pm

As I set this thread running, I thought I would share my experience.
Of driving back from Staines to Andover, this morning.
Clearly the coldest night so far, it was chilly as I climbed up into
my new friend.
It started first turn, which impressed me.
So, I set off towards to M25 for the return journey.
I switched to aircon and raised the temperature to 25.
After a while, it didnt seem to be any warmer.
So, I pressed the off button on the aircon.
At this point, warm air sterted circulating.
So, I dont know if what i did was correct, but it did make
my journey nice and warm.

Mike
Linusface

Post by Linusface » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:45 pm

If you have aircon showing on the display, you will have the aircon fighting the heater, so press the aircon button until the display dissapears. Then wack the temp up to 32 :!: When you feel the heat, adjust the temp to suit, but be prepared for a blast of cold air as the system regulates itself :!:
The whole system is very complicated :cry: - rear controls with front override (but no temp overide :roll: ), fully auto, semi auto, manual, & a front demist button that turns the aicon & fan on full to the screen - oh yes & OFF :wink:

I bought a translated owners manual & read it over & over, but it's still confusing a year on :roll:

If you've any specific questions, I could post the appropriate page from the manual on this thread 8)
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:57 pm

Mike,

It sounds that you have a newer Bongo with Climate Control. here you dial in the temperature you require by pressing a "Temp" button and the system will attempt to keep to that temperature rather than the older air Con where there is a slider switch to adjust the temp manually.

If you press the aircon button once you will get a so called "ECON" (economy setting) and press again and you will get fan only. So, without Aircon you can have just the blower delivering "cool" air (i.e. outside temperature) or warm air in Winter. For Warm air dial in the maximum temp and for "cool" air dial in the minimum. By the waty, I always find that "Cool" air without the aircon is actually warm. I have assumed that this is because the air flow comes past warm components (Engine!). Anyway, that is not your issue.

With aircon on and a high temperature keyed in you should get warm, air conditioned air. This is particularly useful for, and indeed the only way I can shift condensation from the windscreen etc. in a hurry. If you are getting Cold (i.e. clearly air-conditioned) air with a low temperature dialled in but not warm air-conditioned air with ahigh setting, this suggests a fault. Provided that is is not indicative of another problem, you may decide that you can live with it. However, if you have just prchased the vehicle you might like to check it out with the vendor as problems in this area can be surprisingly expenive to fix.

I think that most of us find the Bongo very willing to start on cold mornings. Mine often hesitates in hot weather but always just starts and has never let me down.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
greenman
Bongonaut

Post by greenman » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 pm

Thanks for all your help guys!
I am enjoying the club AND the vehicle!
Yes, and starting seems to be pretty good so far.

I feel as if I have bought a class machine.
What my mechanic friend would call "a nice bit of kit!"

Mike

Return to “Techie Stuff”