Fuel gauge

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mikey B

Fuel gauge

Post by Mikey B » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:47 am

Just noticed this yesterday, the fuel guage was still reading with the keys removed from the ignition. I only noticed it because I was using a battery charger because the battery was flat. Don't know if the charger caused the needle to rise while I was charging the battery.
Any ideas?
pippin

Post by pippin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:52 am

There has been discussion on this before and the consensus was that the fuel gauge/guage for some odd reason does continue to read for a very long time (if not permanently) after the ignition is turned off. Weird/wierd.
Mikey B

fuel guage

Post by Mikey B » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:21 am

pippin wrote:There has been discussion on this before and the consensus was that the fuel gauge/guage for some odd reason does continue to read for a very long time (if not permanently) after the ignition is turned off. Weird/wierd.
If on permanently, would this cause the battery to drain? Just wondering incase I need to get a new battery, as I didn't use the Bongo from Saturday afternoon until monday morning, when I did flat battery.
pippin

Post by pippin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:20 pm

Cannot answer that one directly except to say that we have never had a flat battery in our Bongo.
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:13 pm

The fuel gauge type where the needle continues to read without a power source is common across most Japanese vehicles. It doesn't drain your battery as it relies on a heavy damping mechanism to work.
Glynanderson

Post by Glynanderson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:55 pm

I've heard this 'heavy damping' theory before, I'm sure it's right but...
if it's so heavily damped, would it ever move????
Just a thought
alant54
Tribal Elder

Post by alant54 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:07 pm

Yes it does move....mine moves rather quickly from full to 1/4 after 300 miles......rather slow going the other way when filling up.... :lol: ...Alan
Alan...still plodding on....!
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:13 am

Mickey B: Just to confirm that the fuel guage is displaying the level all the time and uses no electrical power. And yes, after filling up it can take a full five minutes to confirm that you did not just half fill the tank.

I have found my Bongo's battery very resilient. In the winter, I often do not use the Bongo for more than a month at a time. On the coldest morning it fires up clan as a whistle. Earlier this year, I was told by a neighbour that I had gone on holiday with one of the interior lights switched on (two weeks). No problem.

So I think you may have to look elsewhere for what is draining the battery. Lots of threads on that here.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!

Return to “Techie Stuff”