Horn not working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rawlins
Apprentice Bongonaut

Horn not working

Post by rawlins » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Hey All,

I have a late 90s Diesel, and the horn has stopped working. I've spent a little time this afternoon tinkering, but need a little more advice on where to take investigations next. Here's the current situation:

- Pressing the horn gives no sound, nor does the relay click.
- Horns themselves were replaced last year, I've removed them today, tested continuity and they still look good.
- However, testing the wires at the horn shows no current.
- Fuse has been tested and swapped.
- Bridging the fuse shows 12V when the horn is pressed.
- Relays have been swapped around.

I'm new to this stuff, but from what I gather reading elsewhere I need to look at the clock spring connectors? If that's the case, where can I find it and what does it look like?

Also, is there any way to test if a current is getting to the relay box?

Appreciate the help.

Rob
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Horn not working

Post by sotal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Mine did the same a year ago. Earth wire to underside of the relay box. Easily fixed by cutting a wire and looping it back.

A few others have had the exact same problem since and my fix, fixed there's.

Search for a post about 'horn' by my username and you should find the details. Worth a try as it only takes half an hour and doesn't need any parts etc.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:54 pm

sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:56 pm

The only difference is that my relay was clicking. I'd still start there though.

Make up some extensions to lift the relay out so you can prove and test properly. See what is going on there.

You said something about bridging the fuse. What did you mean by that?
rawlins
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by rawlins » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. How easy is the box to remove to access/inspect/repair the connecting wires? Can it be done from above or does it need to go on a ramp?

By bridging the fuse I mean I removed it, and stuck the prongs of my multi-meter in, I get 0V until the horn is pressed, then it jumps to 12.6V. Which I suspect means the switch is working?
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:13 pm

I did mine with it just sitting on the drive. I would rate it as easy with limited tools required.

The test with the fuse shows the horn switch is working and so is the clock spring so I would discount them straight away.

Return to “Techie Stuff”