What Sensor is this please ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Dazzle
Junior Bongonaut

What Sensor is this please ?

Post by Dazzle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi Bongonauts. Can you help me please ? I have a 1992 2.5 WL-T and am trying to 'sort it out'. The fans (both Scavaging and Cooling) have never run in the short time I have had it - since the turn of the year and all of that time has been taken up by working on it. Because of my paranoia of the Cooling System I have been trying to check the component parts but came unstuck this morning when I tried to take the wire off the Cooling Fan Sensor in order to check it's resistance (I'm using a workshop manual). I tugged at the wire which looked like a spade type but it wouldn't budge. I then tried to tease it off using a wide bladed screwdriver as a lever which did the trick. Excellent then ? No. Not only was it not the Cooling Fan Sensor but I broke off the male spade terminal as well ! It wasn't until I had it in my hand that I discovered all that was needed was to push the clip open a little and the thing would have disconnected easily ! So, I now have a broken sensor and would like to know more about it please so I can order a new one. Hopefully there should be a link to take you to the photo on imgur ?
https://imgur.com/wp5q8Yg

I would like to know what the sensor is called and also do I have to drain some of the cooling system out before fitting a new one ?

Just in case the 'Link' to the photo doesn't work - the Sensor is on the R.H. side of the engine block at the front and has one wire going to it.

Will be sooo thankful if someone can advise me on this ?

Dazzle
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: What Sensor is this please ?

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Difficult to see from the photo, but if the wire is a Green wire then that is the temperature sensor for the gauge on the dashboard, it drives the display alone nothing else and has no effect on the fans. The Bongo Fury shop have them in stock https://bongoland.co.uk/product/top-tem ... nder-unit/

Just disconnecting wires ad-hoc is not the way to find out what's wrong, if anything, it will just hurt your wallet!

The Main radiator fans can be checked by turning on the Air-Con, assuming this is filled and working, this will tell the ECU to turn on the fans.
The Scavenger fan only rarely comes on when the engine housing gets too hot, you can check this by disconnecting the sensor under the handbrake - again it has a clip to depress to remove it (all connectors do!) that will flag to the ECU that there is a fault and as a safety measure the ECU will turn on the scavenger fan.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Dazzle
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Dazzle » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Thank you Geoff for your wise words. Have looked at the link for the temperature sensor for the gauge on the dashboard and see it has already hit my wallet ? I have disconnected the sensor under the handbrake and turned on the Ignition - sadly the Scavenger Fan didn't operate. I have checked the Sensor resistance and it is within limits as indicated in the workshop manual (mine was 1.99K ohms at ambient and showed a drop in resistance to 0.25K ohms when hot) so my problem lies elsewhere. I think I now need to check the ECU and associated Scavenger Fan Relay. I'm still new to this Bongo stuff and have just got the Van back from the garage after 2½ months ! N'other story but never again !

Where can I find out the information which tells me where the relays are sited please.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:43 am

The wiring manuals on-line show you the relays positions http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm
There maybe some versions (early ?)of the ECU that don't turn on the the scavanger fan when the sensor is disconnected, there are occasional reports that this doesn't always work.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:05 am

You could try quickly shorting the terminals on the sensor by the handbrake. this should make the fan come one for it's set time of a few minutes as the ECU reads very low/no resistance which equals very hot/broken sensor.

lots of folks appear to have wire a switch to do this on-demand when towing up hill to aid cooling the engine.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:22 pm

You can get Temp senders here, you can also get them for as little as £9.00.

https://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/new/ ... re-sensor/
Dazzle
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Dazzle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Thank you for your replies chaps.
Geoff, I have used your link and have found the relay positions but the circuits the relays operate are not listed ? I was hoping to see something like 'Scavenger Fan Relay' ? No doubt the answer will be in there somewhere and hopefully it is a question of me becoming familiar with the pages which I aim to do each night ! All noted re the Scavenger Fan may not be turned on when the Sensor is disconnected on some earlier versions - again it's a 'know thy Beast' tribulation ? When I do sort it I will update this thread.

WebWiz - Yes, thanks for that. I was concerned about just shorting the Scavenger Fan sensor in an effort to fire up the Fan, but the workshop manual suggests (ie, my interpretation) that at 80°C the sensor should have a resistance of circa 300Ω - which mine does have :) The last thing I want right now is a fault code which shorting out might make happen ? Because I have yet to understand the fault codes and how to erase them etc - I'm a bit reluctant to just short it out. As Geoff pointed out - if I carry on just messing about with stuff before understanding it my pocket will be stung - in fact it already has - read on:

teenmal - that's a very good link - but 24hrs too late for me. I paid £27.95 yesterday for one at MazdaBongo !!! Dhooooohhh.

I have much to learn

Dazzle
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:16 am

Er, just realised you say a 1992 TD ? The Friendee wasn't made until 1995, so not sure if your a Friendee at all ?

The Scavenger Fan is far left motor switched by B6-07
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Dazzle
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Dazzle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:32 pm

Errrrr ? yep - thanks for pointing out my error :oops: Can confirm I have a 1995 2.5 WL-T.

Wiring Diagram is excellent Geoff - many thanks for sending it through. I'm assuming you have your own 'hard copies' of the wiring diagrams ? It took several 'goes' before I realised the on-line WD's cannot be printed.

I have been sorting out some bodywork issues as of late but will be putting the wiring diagram to good use very shortly - at which time I will report my findings.

...... and no doubt ask a lot more questions ?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:19 am

You can always screen print the diagrams, or buy a copy from the Bongo Fury shop, but no the diagrams as presented are displayed in Flash and there isn't a simple print function as such as as what is displayed isn't a single flat image!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”