Replacement engine

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Replacement engine

Post by Elbowpipe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:53 am

My cylinder head got fried last week and everyone says I should just replace the engine as who knows what damage has been done below. It so happens a neighbour has a Bongo he's selling for scrap (TD 2.5) so I have a chance of a second-hand engine which he claims hasn't ever over-heated. Only thing is that when I went to check it, the coolant expansion tank was empty. 3 litres brought it back up. Looked underneath and the coolant pipes are almost new. He's no reason to lie about the history as he's already done a deal with the scrappy (I would have to buy it from him). I ran it for half-an-hour and the coolant level held and the temp gauge was steady. The engine sounds sweet too. Suggestions?
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: Replacement engine

Post by haydn callow » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:16 am

If the coolant tank was empty and you put 3 litres in I hope you then bled the system properly or you will have another fried head. Why was the tank empty ? The coolant must have escaped somewhere.
Having said all that if it checks out o.k. And you get it for less than £500 it’s worth a punt, BUT, you must find out why yours overheated and fix it’ll
Don’t forget you can get the mobile mechanic to come and fit a new head with warranty for less than £1500
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Post by Elbowpipe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Carried out the block combustion test and can't work out if the results were yellow or green! (Yellow being unhealthy). Anyone used the Dr HeadGasket kit? I did a standard test with it plugged into the expansion tank, also the recommended method of using a syringe to transfer the gases to the tester. Both resulted in the same colour which I'll try and attach to this message.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:23 pm

That looks yellow to me
Also BMW Clocks
Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Post by Elbowpipe » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Actually green indicates faulty diesel, yellow a faulty petrol engine. The same company DR HeadGasket offer a ' permanent' solution. Anyone tried it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DrH-Super-Se ... 2711296494
Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Post by Elbowpipe » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:17 am

I got in touch with BongoSpares, and they can do me a 2nd hand engine with ancillaries that has been thoroughly tested. For £500 more I can get a new cylinder head, once again thoroughly tested. Apologies for what might seem to be obvious questions, but I'm not technical at all. Can anyone clarify the benefit of having the new head? Modern chem tests should elicit even non-visible cracks in the block or head so a used engine which has been tested should be OK? Or is it the case that even with zero coolant issues a cylinder head has a finite life, so getting a new one will extend the life of an engine?
Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Post by Elbowpipe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 am

Sorry to push on this. I'm making a decision tomorrow. Is it worth paying £500 for a new cylinder head on a used engine which has already passed all tests? Is it likely to prolong the engine's life? Grateful for anyone's opinion! :)
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:05 pm

As long as the engine is sound and the new head FITTED BY SOMONE WITH EXPERIENCE FITTING BONGO HEADS I would do it...
Also BMW Clocks
Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Post by Elbowpipe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Yes, BongoSpares fit the head before delivery. What i was querying was the need for a new head if there's been no damage to the existing one. (IE passed all tests) . Is this a needless expense? They can deliver me a used engine (original head) which has been tested, £500 cheaper. But I can see there might be an argument to say that even if it's passed tests there's invisible wear and tear, so a new head would definitely prolong the life of an engine. With my limited understanding, I just don't know if that's a fact. :?

But one thing for sure, I'll be ordering one of your coolant alarms, Haydn! :)
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Now I understand....if they will do a engine complete with head that they have tested. then go for that, they will fit the engine and get everything running...also I would expect some sort of warranty.
However if the only thing wrong with what you already have is a blown head I would consider just having a new head fitted to your own engine....that must be the cheaper option.
Also BMW Clocks
Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Post by Elbowpipe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:05 pm

haydn callow wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:26 pm
However if the only thing wrong with what you already have is a blown head I would consider just having a new head fitted to your own engine....that must be the cheaper option.
Hmmm, except I've been advised if the engine stalled (which it did) there's a risk of hidden damage below the head, to the block, pistons, camshaft etc.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Does the engine turn over now??
Also BMW Clocks
Elbowpipe
Bongonaut

Post by Elbowpipe » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:18 pm

No, not at all. It was well-fried. The girl driving it just kept going when the van was full of smoke. :(
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Bongo spares it is then...l
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Techie Stuff”