Transmission lurch when selecting drive - 2001 V6 lpg

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ade33
Bongolier

Transmission lurch when selecting drive - 2001 V6 lpg

Post by ade33 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi folks,

Our bus is lurching significantly when selecting drive. There is no clunking or other unsavoury noises, just the lurch. Going into reverse does it slightly, but much less so (feels much more 'normal'). Once the ship is under way, she changes between gears smoothly, it's just when moving from neutral to drive. I hold the footbrake on to lessen the effect, but I still wince every time.

Has the great Bongo collective any thoughts on what might be occuring, or whether we need to be investigating further?

It's a 2001 V6 if that makes any difference. The same effect is seen running on petrol or gas.

Thank you, kind people, for your advice, it's all appreciated, and I've learn so much about the old bus from this site :D :) =D>
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Transmission lurch when selecting drive - 2001 V6 lpg

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Have you checked the ATF fluid level and quality (Redish and translucent and not smelling of toast!)? Under the drivers seat is the dip stick, needs to be done with everything warm and engine running, not easy as the oil splashes on the dip stick, so you may need to do it several times before getting a good reading.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
WestyK
Bongolier

Re: Transmission lurch when selecting drive - 2001 V6 lpg

Post by WestyK » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Forgive me if you already know this but it could be the engine is ticking over too fast.
Whats it showing in neutral before engaging drive?

Ian

Return to “Techie Stuff”