Towing Weights and MAM

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Sorcha
Apprentice Bongonaut

Towing Weights and MAM

Post by Sorcha » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Hello All,

Looking at a Bongo, need some help with weights.

Current owner has weighed it at 1790kg with tank full, no drivergluten. But the garage they bought it from only told me that another petrol auto 2.0 has a MAM of 2050kg which means I can't get my family in there without exceeding MAM, let alone camping gear.

And I have absolutely no chance if finding towing weights apparently.

I have the newer licence, capped at 3.5 tonnes and being a camping family we found weights important early on. So I'm not happy towing without them.

DVLA passed the buck to DVSA who passed it back. Then I was passed to DoT then IVA. Mazda tell me to contact Japan but no idea how, enquiry form in Japanese!

Facebook forums say its not worth the price at £5500.
Bodyshop quotes £1200 to deal with rust. Poor owner has run around getting info for me whilst I do likewise and right now I'm sick and tired of the whole thing and feel guilty if I say no because of the all the hassle!! But not sure I want the damn thing anymore!

Can anyone point me in the right direction with the weight issue please?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Towing Weights and MAM

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi

Have a Google of ' Mazda Bongo Towing Weight', there's a fact sheet from Imperial Cars, plus more info.

Fact Sheet on the Forum, too.

Sorry, can't seem to post links at the mo.

Gross weight 2250 kgs.

Trailer weight at 85% guideline is 1600 kgs, but the 2 ltr petrol will puff at that weight.

Hope that helps. :)

Might work:

http://www.imperialcar.co.uk/bongo_facts
Sorcha
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Towing Weights and MAM

Post by Sorcha » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi Bob.

Thanks for that. Turns out the owner had the export certificate and the gvw of a petrol auto 2.0l 2000 mazda bongo is 2040kg in case anyone needs it in the future.

Cheers all

Sorcha

Return to “Techie Stuff”