Loud vibration on cold engine between 1st and 2nd gear

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

glorb
Junior Bongonaut

Loud vibration on cold engine between 1st and 2nd gear

Post by glorb » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Hi,
We're really happy of our little bongo but (among other things) there is a vibration that occurs only from 1st to 2nd gear the first time after starting it and putting into gear. After that it's usually fine.

Any idea where to look?

Thanks! :)
🐰🐰🐰🐰🚐
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Loud vibration on cold engine between 1st and 2nd gear

Post by teenmal » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:57 pm

HI, is the vehicle manual or auto , Diesel or Petrol? What are the other things (they might be related) have you just obtained the vehicle?.

Take Care..
glorb
Junior Bongonaut

Post by glorb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:42 am

Hi,

Yes, looking back to that post, it was a bit cryptic. Sorry about that!

So this is a Automatic Diesel Bongo from 1996 with 190 000km on the odometer.
We bought it last Summer from Classic Campers, a Bongo reseller from Pontypool.
We had the MOT in Winter and it was alright, bit of melding here and there, a leak in the cooling system and a spring that used to be loud sometimes. All being taken care of by our local garage in Hay-on-Wye.

The other things are not connected I think, the Air Con is not really working, and we have to take care of the rust.

I remember that a while back already it was sometimes a bit slow to switch from 1st to 2nd with a stronger jump while all the other changes were quite smooth. The vibration has started on the last 2 months I'd say.
🐰🐰🐰🐰🚐
WebWiz
Bongonaut

Post by WebWiz » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Wow. Someone has a bongo as old (and knackered) as mine :o)

I bought mine in Feb. It's also a 1996 Diesel Auto.

It has 200,000km, loads of rust (now fixed), leaky cooling/overheating (current project), leaky ATF cooling (parts on order), blowing mid exhaust (now fixed), broken cold start vacuum solenoids and hoses (now fixed), and my gearbox also jumps a bit from 1st to 2nd but fine on 2-3-4.

I'm currently concentrating on the cooling system as this has been a showstopper but intend to do the gearbox next.

Can I be cheeky and ask how much you paid for your bongo? (just so I can get an idea of what I should have paid for mine as I feel a bit robbed)

Is you HOLD light flashing? This indicates gear trouble but only works if ECU can read the fault. Does your HOLD light come on when you press the hold button on the stick? (Just checking the bulb works).

It could be a solenoid issue as there are 4 in the box. 3 do the gear changes and one does the clutch (in layman's terms). If one is worn out or blocked it can cause this. If it's a mechanical/hydraulic fault then the HOLD light wont show it as it needs electrical signal (or lack of) to detect fault. Cleaning the whole lot may help. Try dropping the sump cover and removing/cleaning the filter and topping up with fresh ATF.

I'll keep an eye on your progress as it may well help with mine.

Good luck getting it all sorted.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Not been an owner that long or a member of this site but this vendor from Pontypool registers with me...... search the vendor on this site and it may become clearer from other owner's experiences :-|
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
glorb
Junior Bongonaut

Post by glorb » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:28 pm

I followed your advice and found this dreadful thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74440&hilit=Classic+Campers.

Like some people said, I think they're not proper crooks, but on our Bongo there was a lot of welding underneath too and now that we've had it for a year the rust is piercing through the shiny coat of paint that they do on every sale to make it look nice and hide any problem with rust and body.

WebWiz thanks for all the info. I'll try all that. The Hold light doesn't come up, I didn't notice that before you pointed it out. It used to work fine! That's one lead, I'll check the others asap.
🐰🐰🐰🐰🚐

Return to β€œTechie Stuff”