Viscous Coupling Seized

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dickiebongo
Junior Bongonaut

Viscous Coupling Seized

Post by dickiebongo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:00 am

Hello again,

So after a week away in the bongo (which now has a fully working automatic transmission) I am pretty convinced that the viscous coupling on the 4WD transfer box is seized. So far all I have done to test this is the "turning in a tight circle in a car park" test, when I get a chance later today or tomorrow I'll do some more thorough investigation.

Can anyone recommend the best place to get a new viscous coupling might be? I'm sure I can order one from the Mazda main dealer but any suggestions on where I might be able to get one cheaper would be appreciated.

Many thanks, as usual,
Dickie
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Viscous Coupling Seized

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:17 am

Not sure you will get just the viscous coupling itself, maybe the whole transfer box, but Bongo Spares would be a good starting point.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
dickiebongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by dickiebongo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks for your reply - It'd be a shame if the coupling wan't available as the rest of the box appears to be in good order, and a new coupling would be a known quantity. I don't fancy shelling out for a complete new transfer box, so that would have to be second-hand, and I'd be taking a chance on the condition of the coupling in that unit. I guess it'd be warrantied though if I bought it from a reputable place like Bongo Spares. If I do find just the coupling then I'll post the info on here, along with photos of the replacement process, if successful! :?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Well give them a ring, not sure they list everything on the web site.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Propnut
Bongonaut

Post by Propnut » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:48 pm

I read some time ago that the fluid in a viscous coupling breaks down over time. The VC on my van was seized but I later needed to replace the gearbox so the situation was resolved then. You may find it difficult to source a used transfer box on its own, I imagine most dealers will only sell the whole gearbox as a complete unit for fear of then having to find a buyer for a gearbox with the tail end missing . Also there's no truly reliable way of telling that it's any good until you fit it so it's a painfull lottery. I think Ava leisure had one on a blown box a while back it may be worth giving them a call.
As an individual replacement part the item you want is R50127580 but I imagine if it's available it'll be equivalent to the Greek national debt from Mazda

http://lushprojects.com/bongoparts/page ... D).html#18
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:44 pm

Ahh...

The Greeks owe money to Mazda as well. :lol:

OK, I'll get me coat. :oops:

Return to “Techie Stuff”