Strange Rear Light Inactivity

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

SEDGE
Apprentice Bongonaut

Strange Rear Light Inactivity

Post by SEDGE » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:26 pm

I've looked through the previous post but haven't been able to find anything to resolve my problem..
The rear nearside indicator light does not work - when I indicate left the front indicator clicks/flashes quickly. Rear indicator - nothing.
Tried the following..
Changed the bulb for a new one.
Checked for corrosion on the bulb fitting.
When the hazards are on they all work normally except for the rear indicator - nothing.
Nothing seems to be wrong with the wiring that I can see when I take the unit off.
Right indicator works fine - so not the fuse.
Is there a separate rely for this?
Any suggestions/help gratefully received!!
(MOT due next week so I don't want to pay some chap in overalls a fortune to try and fix it - and I really hope I don't want to take the kitchen out the back as that would upset me immensely... :shock: )
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Strange Rear Light Inactivity

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:35 pm

You will need to get a meter to test what is actually going on, measure the voltages around the module for that light, the fact that it is flashing fast indicates that the module knows that it only has one lamp load so its connection to the rear light has been broken somewhere or the earth to that lamp is faulty.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
SEDGE
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by SEDGE » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:35 am

g8dhe wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:35 pm You will need to get a meter to test what is actually going on, measure the voltages around the module for that light, the fact that it is flashing fast indicates that the module knows that it only has one lamp load so its connection to the rear light has been broken somewhere or the earth to that lamp is faulty.
Thanks, Geoff, I'll give it a go.
SEDGE
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by SEDGE » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 am

Tested with a meter - no load getting through. Anyone know any points on the wiring to rear indicator that might be the cause - or is it a case of tracing the whole lot back? I’ve got a rear kitchen conversion and really don’t want to have to take that out...😩 Feeling a bit thick and helpless...
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 am

I'd find the wire near the front of the vehicle, maybe near the idicator switch, and if you have 12v there just run a new wire rather than removing the kitchen unit.

The plastic coated wire you hang net curtains on is very good for threading wire, or you can get proper kit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/5x-10m-33ft-El ... 12ffffbf8b
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:02 am

So have you checked pins D & G of the module for 12 volts switching on/off, then checked at the rear lights themselves for the same signal ?

If its present then check the earth connection for resistance to chassis.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
SEDGE
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by SEDGE » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and advice - tried running a new wire and checking the pins - it turned out to be the one of the wires (not the central one) on the bulb holder itself. Couldn't tell it was slightly corroded inside the fixing.
Now fixed and can book in for MOT!!!
...and I can still make a cuppa in the kitchen.
:D :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:14 pm

Nice one. =D>

And keep a beer in the fridge, no doubt. :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”